LegacyGT.com

rear brakes and pad life

Has anybody else had this happen or is this normal.

2015 legacy premium 37k and there is no rear pad left, fronts have about a 1/4 pad left. Is this hill roll stop making this happen?

Question was going to change the pads, is there any after market pads that are better then oem like Hawk?

Do I need to replace the rotors? can they be cut? Should I cut them?

The rotors look good.

Thanks

I need to replace my rear pads now.. coming up to the same mileage.. I am planning to replace pads and rotors even though I can probably cut mine. In the past I've cut rotors and the brakes didn't seem to last as long if I replaced instead of cut them... I've liked these breaks I've had.. I think the longest I've had on any of my cars.. and hasn't yet made a sound.

I've heard from people that oh, just replace the pads and do nothing on the Rotors. I don't think it makes sense.

I wrote a reply to this thread and deleted it. In my previous reply, I had it in my head that the OP was getting the work done at the dealer. If you DIY, then I'd just get new rotors and not bother with cutting them.

I'm really surprise that you need new rear pads at 37k. Have you measured them to see how many mm's you have left? (Though, with the price of rear pads.. I'd just replace them now when it's warm out if they're even close to low.)

I'd replace both the rotors and pads too. I'd go with raybestos eht pads, only $15 on rockauto… I'm running them in the front of my legacy and like them. For my car, when I compared them to other pads available, they had a higher friction rating than most other pads available at that price. I'm not sure if that means they eat rotors faster, but I don't think ceramic pads are tough on rotors anyway..

I just did my fronts myself earlier this week. New pads and rotors at 66k miles. Cost me about $175 for parts.

My rear brakes went 54k miles. It was around $300 for the dealer to do it, pads and rotors. Now that I know how to deal with the ebrake I will do it myself next time.

Archived