LegacyGT.com

6MT swap Rear Diff question

Subsandwich

So I was reading through the 6MT swap threads and had a few questions about the rear diff options.

I'm most interested in recipe B. My understanding is that the newer transmissions use a 3.54 rear diff, hence my choices are using the 02-05 wrx r160s, in which case I could keep my stock rear axles, or going with the spec B R180, which means I would need spec B axles.

So the questions:

1) Would any rear from any wrx from 02-05 work? I was looking on ebay and very few people list specifics about the rear diff.

2) What about the 06-07 STI rear diffs? Since they're 3.54 I would presume they could work? Would the issue then be finding appropriate rear axles/drive shaft?

- I saw a partial answer later in the master swap thread but didn't quite understand it

3) Anybody have the hookup with a vendor that could streamline used parts for a 6MT swap? I tried the link on the master swap thread and the site for 6MT swap kits was dead.

Thanks to any who could give some guidance

I'm looking at the parts diagrams online, and final drive ratios and what-nots online. As far as I can tell the rear diff on the 02-05 WRXs seem to be the same on the 05-09 LGTs, however, the LGTs from 05-06 have different Final Drives than the 07-09 (per the gear ratios sticky).

Assuming the 5 speed manual uses a 1.1 center diff, would that mean the 07-09 LGTs also use a 3.54 r160?

Okay I dug through subaru parts catalogs a little more:

- The LGT 05-06 MY use a 4.11 drive (27011AA731)

- The LGT 07-09 MY use a 3.90 drive (27011AA880)

- This seems to cover the NA Legacy's from 05MY, and the 07-09 LGT's, which seems odd

- The WRX from 03 use a 3.54 drive (27011AA690)

- Per the Part number, this covers both NA Imprezas and the WRX's from 02-05 with manual transmissions, and 02-03 MY with ATs

So from the book-work so far, the stock rear 07-09 LGT rear doesn't seem to be feasible, but the rear diff from any 02-05 Impreza would work... Sorry for additional posts, still trying to sort out all the thoughts on paper before deciding on whether or not this project makes sense to try out.

Archived