LegacyGT.com

Engine Swap Advice

Hey guys and gals,

So I have an 06 Legacy GT, after having to add oil for to long, rough idle. I brought to Dealer, they preformed a leak down and compression test. No compression in cylinder 4. Leak down test found Cylinder 1 (120psi) #2 (80 Psi) #3 (120 psi) #4 (80 psi). They recommended a short block $7,357.xx and valves. With that being said, I started searching ebay for a rebuilt motor to swap in? If anyone whos gone through with a swap or knows there $hit about it, can share some knowledge...it'd be much appreciated. I have someone who will help, if I swap. Want to make sure its worth it and not looking to build a track car, a reliable weekend toy. I want to start buy everything, to complete the swap over the summer. I've replaced a lot already and worship it with maintenance. She's still drivable, want to bring her back to life though. Thanks for the help!!

It's pretty easy, see my click here link in my sig.

Also read the first thread it the Tech Forum.

Read the sticky's too.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Decide if your going to do most of the work yourself. A lot of us just buy a new ej257 short block have our heads rebuilt, have the machine shop assemble the long block with timing belt installed is the best way.

If your buddy is good with these cars and watching the youtube video's you can DIY if you have the tools.

I just had the timing belt replaced on my ej257. it still runs great.

Read the threads here about replacing the engine, decide if that's the way to go.

Make a list of the things you think you'll need with prices. Plan on about $5000, don't forget to buy coolant, oil and filters.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!! I'm excited to do this project, but at a certain price it wouldn't make sense for me. I went to school for mechanics, worked at it for a while, but couldn't see it being my life long career. Its a passion, not a career. Anywho, I'll look into a short block and getting heads rebuilt. Between and Brad, we have an arsenal of tools and youtube is always a good tool. He's never worked on a Subaru, but has swapped engines and rebuilt a few other cars. Good reason to drink some beers! Ej257 is the code for our short block when searching?

Just rip out the engine first and take it apart so you can check the cylinder bores before getting a new short block.

If you can see scores in the cylinders then you have to check them to see how deep they are before deciding on a short block or if honing is sufficient. If you can see them but not feel them then a honing could be the answer. If you aren't successful with a honing then you have just wasted some time, not much money.

It of course also depends on how much time you have on your hands compared to amount of money you have.

453747.png

I wholeheartedly agree with much of what's been said here. However there's an option that has been totally overlooked which is buying an engine from an importer.

I did a little search around the sites and don't see any ej255s for sale currently, but I know you can get one for for less than 3k online

Thanks everyone for your ideas. It would be a first engine removal for me, so having help is a must. Doesn't it take two people to lose your virginity, anyways?? I'm going to talk with my guy and see what he thinks. if he'd be willing to help with a new short block and waiting for machine shop to finish heads. Or if finding a "new" engine to swap in will be quicker for us. As the car stands now: Catless UP, catted DP, installed the ohm resistor into pvc valve or wherever its suppose to go and Accessport stage 2. I got a good deal on new OEM suspension all around, 15k on new OEM clutch/flywheel. Religious with oil, trans....fluid swaps. Parts I would plan to get while rebuilding; anything I'm missing feel free to inform the rookie? Want to bring her back to life, reliable and enjoy the curvy roads again. Want to get a rough estimate on a final price!

parts to get:

subaru short block

After market Turbo inlet

group n motor mounts

sway bar/endlinks

heads sent to machine shop (Any suggestions, North jersey)

WRX turbo VF 52...I think?

Thanks everyone!

North Jersey, contact www.AZPinstalls.com and ask them who they use for a machine shop.

I went with a stock inlet, but I wasn't looking for big HP.

You have the 2.2kohm resistor in the EGT connector, not PVC.

Mike at AZP got my vf52 for me back 2011.

Lot's of help here just ask us before you buy and waste you money.

See if your local dealership will get you a ej257 for close to the $1800 range, tell them you'll buy parts from if they treat you right. They may work with you.

It's nice to have friends at the dealership. My guy's take good care of me. We have also bought two new Outbacks from them. But that was after I met the parts in the Parts Dept.

Archived