LegacyGT.com

Squealing at idle

I have a 2005 legacy gt, it is currently on its second motor and turbo. In the last month or so, I've developed a loud squeaking at idle. If I just lightly press in the clutch, it entirely goes away. It comes back if I let off of it. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The last time I replied to a thread and said this, I didn't read the whole thread and was probably wrong.

This time however, I really do think it sounds like the clutch throw out bearing.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/throwout-bearing-disintegrated-need-advice-please-161861.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/throw-out-bearing-dont-wait-196306.html

So the noise is only at idle ?

what happens if you rev the engine with the tranny in neutral foot off the clutch, foot on the clutch ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It can also be a pulley for alternator or cam belt that's starting to go bad and just a small change causes it to go silent.

I don't rule out anything until the problem is isolated and taken care of.

453747.png

Since it happens at idle, should be straightforward to use a mechanic's stethoscope or 3' hose to the ear to localize it. If it is in the bellhousing, you can pull the slave cylinder and use an inspection camera to make sure nothing looks amiss in there. If all looks OK, lubricate the slave cylinder - clutch fork engagement mechanism. Based on the symptoms so far described, that would be my prime suspect.

From your description I'm not sure if the noise is only happening at idle or you just can't hear it when you're moving. My guess is it could likely be happening anytime the clutch is not depressed.

Based on that I'm going to second throw out bearing. However everything else that was mentioned such as pulleys and belts should be checked first

Well I used the tube to check for the noise. Definitely coming from the back of the engine. There's a sticker that says "a retrofit clutch release bearing has been installed, tsk3-b" am I at risk if I don't fix it or can I wait until it blows up.

2005 LGT MT stage 1

FWIW, the TSK will protect the transmission snout from the TOB failure, assuming the TSK was properly installed. That said, Nils is right. Always fix noises ASAP. Noises are a machine crying for help, and an ignored noise will always get pricier.

That sounds exactly like mine did when the TOB was failing. Only makes noise when Idling or decel. It will keep making that noise until it shreds. Could be 5 miles, could be 5000 miles. Change it :)

Personally mine came out in pieces when I changed it (didn't have the TSK sleeve on yet) and didn't damage anything, but I wouldn't risk it again knowing it could be that bad. (it didn't sound that bad until right before I changed it)

The TSK sleeve takes a bigger TOB so you have to order the right one

Can you get us a good picture of what the snout looks like ?

Put a small amount of high temp grease on the snout before you install the new bearing.

Make sure the fork and bearing didn't fall off the pivot ball before you bolt the tranny up. I learned that the hard way.

While the engines out, is there any thing else you want to address ?

heater hoses ?

oil return from the turbo

how much shaft play in the turbo

spark plugs

timing belt

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived