LegacyGT.com

Center stack went out inc eyesiight

FYI: Center stack went out inc Eyesight on new 2018 2.5 Legacy

Hi,

3 1/2 mo ago the XM started dropping stations regularly. Contacted dealer & Subaru several times by phone, visit, emails with pix of problem. No results yet, they are working on it.

Now today, went on a short errand & when I got back and started the car. However when backing the car out, the backup overlay did not display on the screen and the other selection buttons did not work either. Center stack was blank, and when driving home, I noticed Eyesight did not work either.

Stopped car on roadside, restarted engine to no avail. Arrived home restarted aging to no avail. Re-called dealer & got the same phone tree message I get most of the time: "We are providing outstanding service to a customer & we will call you back when we have time. Never got a callback as is normal in today's business model.

Also called Subaru customer service & went over the story for the zillionth time; their response was I have to contact the dealer which I did. They intimated "wait for an answer from dealer" in so many words.

Driving in NJ dangerous especially without Eyesight. The only vehicle that can survive the NJ traffic is a Stryker Vehicle with full up-armored pkg.

Regards,

klxdrt

Try a different dealer. Your next closest dealer may be a ways away, but unfortunately nothing SOA will be able to do to actually fix your problem. They are just the corporate office.

Try putting a 1 star review for the dealer on one of their social media pages and see if that grabs their attention. But if they are the only one in miles, they may just be douchebags.

PS: Eyesight is NOT an auto pilot. If you do not pay attention, you will crash. There are intricacies in the system that you will need to get acclimated to and it doesn't always pick up when folks cut you off. Not trying to scare you, but educate.

I would bring it to a dealer, but for short term reset try disconnecting the battery and reconnect it. You will need to reprogram the window and few other things, but that might reset most features.

This is a joke right?

why would it be a joke, Eyesight is a top rated safety system, so of course it makes driving less dangerous (for the Suby owner with it, and those around them).

The more cars that get this technology the safer you will be, even if you are a luddite driving a 1960 Rambler, because it reduces the odds that the car behind you (the one with crash mitigation tech), driven by a texting "Adult", will rear end you while you are stopped at a stop sign.

because it reduces the odds that the car behind you driven by a texting "Adult" will rear end you while you are stopped at a stop sign.

Not entirely true. It will definitely reduce the impact of the accident as it will engage emergence braking. But weather you will be hit or not depends on the speed. If you are anything above 40mph and the car in front is already stopped, the likely hood of impact is pretty high if your car was not already following the car ahead.

Disconnect the battery and hold the brake down for about 30 seconds. After you do that then reconnect the battery.

If you don't get everything back afterward please contact this dealership as they are really helpful.

Pine Belt Subaru

(732) 719-1600

1104 Route 88

Lakewood, NJ 08701

FYI: Center stack went out inc Eyesight ...

What makes you think that EyeSight "went out"? Warning light? "EyeSight disabled" message on the multi-function display? Something else?

FWIW, EyeSight and the infotainment head unit (assuming that's what you mean by "center stack") are two separate, independent systems.

Driving in NJ dangerous especially without Eyesight.
Driving a motor vehicle is the most dangerous thing most people do every day. How did we ever survive before EyeSight?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

What makes you think that EyeSight "went out"? Warning light? "EyeSight disabled" message on the multi-function display? Something else?

Driving a motor vehicle is the most dangerous thing most people do every day. How did we ever survive before EyeSight?

Exactly (But I'm glad I have it)

RE-Guys-in-back-of-truck.jpg.9685a42c4c680d0c4d15506500683f59.jpg

Disconnect the battery and hold the brake down for about 30 seconds. After you do that then reconnect the battery.

And then stand on one foot while you take your left hand and touch your nose with your index finger...

Not entirely true. It will definitely reduce the impact of the accident as it will engage emergence braking. But weather you will be hit or not depends on the speed. If you are anything above 40mph and the car in front is already stopped, the likely hood of impact is pretty high if your car was not already following the car ahead.

It is entirely true that it will reduce the odds that you are rear ended. First, because often it completely stops the car before any impact, or second, because the car freaks out and starts emergency braking, which might get the attention of the inattentive driver so they can start braking or steering to avoid you.

In the event a car with crash avoidance technology driven by a texting driver does rear end you, please tell me, would you rather be rear ended by that inattentive driver at 40mph or a reduced speed, say 16mph?

I know which one I would pick.

PS: Eyesight has been youtube tested to completely stop the car on dry pavement at sub 30mph speeds.

If it cannot completely stop the car, it is definitely trying and slowing it down before impact.

Now that Toyota is going all in (most new models, all trim levels, have crash prevention tech) I'd expect more auto manufacturers to follow suit. VW is "supposedly" making semi-autonomous driving cars across their line for 2019 (I just saw this recently, since I am researching for my next car sometime next summer when my lease is close to ended).

would you rather be rear ended by that inattentive driver at 40mph or a reduced speed, say 16mph?

I know which one I would pick.

You said it yourself. It would reduce the impact not the odds. Two completely different things.

Hi,

The reason I know eyesight was not working: I tested it several times. No alerts when going over yellow line plus I expect it to work. This is 2018, not 1946.

In 1969 we put a "man on the moon" & returned him safely, no google, microsoft, tesla, internet, (arpnet), facebook, twitter, iphones:

NOW DON'T TELL ME YOU CAN'T DO IT

If you can't you are FIRED!

cheers,

klxdrt

The reason I know eyesight was not working: I tested it several times. No alerts when going over yellow line plus I expect it to work.

Suspicions confirmed. From the 2016 EyeSight Owners Manual, page 69:

In the following situations, the Lane Departure Warning will or may not activate:

• Vehicle speed is approximately 30 MPH (50 km/h) or less.

• When the steering wheel is turned significantly to either side

• When the vehicle is driving around a curve whose radius is 0.18 miles (300 m) or smaller.

• When the brake pedal is depressed or immediately after it is depressed

• When the accelerator pedal is almost fully depressed and the vehicle is

accelerating or immediately after accelerating

• When the following distance behind a vehicle in front is short

• While the turn signal is operating and for approximately 4 seconds after the turn signal lever has returned to its original position

• For approximately 4 seconds after the hazard lamp has switched off

• When the vehicle has not returned to the inside of the lane after the Lane Departure Warning has activated

• The lane is narrow.

• When it is difficult for the camera to detect lane markings

- There are no lane markings or they are very worn.

- The lane markings are yellow.

- It is difficult to detect lane markings as they are similar in color to the road surface.

- The lane markings are narrow.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

ammcinnis,

Thanks for the info. Subaru must have spent a lot of $$$ on lawyers to write the 7-8 manuals that comes with the car. Of course we cant leave the nanny state out of the equation.

After spending 35 yr debugging Windows & its related software, I was not expecting to debugging an auto co. If I and others got paid for debugging today's crap we could afford a loaded 6 cyl Legacy & the gas to drive it.

Othere that that, I like my Legacy esp in NJ with all the snow we got this winter.

cheers,

klxdrt

Archived