LegacyGT.com

Program wireless key fob to work with remote start

I purchased a Subaru 2018 2.5I Limited Legacy and it did not come with remote start. I had my Subaru dealer install the remote start but now I have two fobs, one for keyless entry and one for remote start. Does anyone know if the keyless entry fob and be programmed to work with the remote start? I would really like to have one one fob to deal with.

The second fob is the newer upgraded version that has the 400 ft range. My understanding is that the unit that works with the keyless entry fob is a different remote start controller unit (older).

I have a similar set-up and can't start the car with the procedure using the keyless fob. -I don't think the upgraded version can be programmed to work with the keyless fob. I'd assume if it was a programming feature to work with both keyless and remote fob, the dealer would have programmed it that way or at least ask how I wanted it.-

Guess I spoke too soon...

I would think if a factory install then it should work like one. I have a 17 and both FOBs start the car albeit the separate FOB has a much greater range. You can try and see I guess:

That's an interesting video. I only have to press twice on the remote fob to start and hold for 2 secs to stop.

May be there two different newer versions or of it works differently when hooked up to a '15 vs a '17+

Yeah the newer key fobs does work for the remote start. Press it 3 times slowly (like counting 3 seconds out) but hold it on the 3rd press and the car will start. It’s in the manual just in case.

7cc35503ca2c9c846636e5c24d74e4c5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Press it 3 times slowly (like counting 3 seconds out) but hold it on the 3rd press and the car will start.

Thanks!

After the press and hold on 3rd press, I was letting go after the car beeped. The key was to continue holding longer till it sounded another dual beep and started the car.

Glad to find this out. I can now leave the extra fob at work and not carry it with me all the time!

The only good thing about the smaller fob is that the range is way better (400 feet) than your key fob!

Glad this works for you!

Exactly. I leave the 2nd fob in the console and clip it on when I anticipate using it. I don't use remote start that often- usually only when I know it will be really cold so it's easy to predict. Even at 90 degrees here (summer use) the car cools off quick enough I don't need the A/C/Remote function.

The only good thing about the smaller fob is that the range is way better (400 feet) than your key fob!

Glad this works for you!

At home I'm less than 20 ft away. I could just leave one in the car and take it only when I'm going to be parked farther away and it really is extremely hot/cold.

It opens up 1 cubic inch of space in my pocket :cool:

I had a factory starter put in my ‘17 limited and they wanted both sets of keyless fobs to program so they can also start the car along with the starter fobs. They should have done this for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived