LegacyGT.com

Startup Knock

Seems the consensus on the startup knock is "they all do that". 5000 miles on my new Legacy and that is the only thing I hate about it. I'm not an engineer but it seems to me that the inverted oil filter may be the cause. Probably wont be keeping the car long if it doesn't get resolved. Will be going to the dealer soon for the first service so I'll see what they have to say.

No it not the placement of the oil filter. It is not a knock. Most likely it is the metal timing chain and metal CVT chain. Yes it will be a little noisy until the oil circulates which only takes a few moments and will silence when the vehicle is a operating temperature. As a flatter is a badge of pride.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

No it not the placement of the oil filter. It is not a knock. Most likely it is the metal timing chain and metal CVT chain. Yes it will be a little noisy until the oil circulates which only takes a few moments and will silence when the vehicle is a operating temperature. As a flatter is a badge of pride.

Just seems to me that is is oil pressure related since it goes away when the oil pressure comes up. I have had other cars that make the same sound after a oil change until the oil filter is filled on the first start.

I believe it is due to the position of the oil filter. However it is only

light valve clatter that lasts for a couple of seconds. Nothing to worry about.

If it was a real problem, Subaru's wouldn't last as long as they do.

My 17' Outback w/35K miles has that startup Rattle, for just a second... At first I thought it was a heat shield rattle... I wouldn't call it a Knock...

Heck, I don't even notice it anymore...

Guess slightly related. I hear a squeekey noise right after I start the car for a few seconds (slightly longer in the winter months). I've mostly been remote starting the car in the morning so didn't take much notice. But this happens for a few seconds every time I start the car in the morning.

I think they are the belts, but it seems a bit premature considering just 45k on the odo and 3 yrs. No visible cracks. Anyone else have this happen? Video is here:

Piston slap on a cold engine. And yes, all the 2.5l do it. Longevity is not a problem with the engines so evidently not a problem. As soon as the engine warms a bit the noise is gone. Our 2.5l makes the sound until the end of the driveway in the summer, and for the first couple of miles in the winter.

I've never changed the oil in the 2.5l so a question to all you DIY guys. When you remove the filter does it dump oil or is it empty?

Archived