LegacyGT.com

Rust below rear window, best fix?

So much for being a SoCal car I have some rust issues to be taken care of on my 2010. I get it I should a wire brush, sandpaper, and some elbow grease to get as much of rust off and cover with primer and maybe paint. I am not sure if it's safe to use a rust treatment eg Permatex as they typically contain some sort of acid which may do more harm than good long term. I also feel it's a problematic spot due to the seam there and moisture and the rust will come back sooner or later. There's probably at least some corrosion under the glass, but I don't think I'm removing the rear window for this. Any suggestions on the best course of action?

_20180603_135450.thumb.JPG.d898fd5311b9474786cd60c7d5fcbe9c.JPG

There's an older thread from about a year or so ago around here somewhere that covers this exact topic. Keep searching and you should find it.

Personally I'd go to a decent body shop and have it fixed right. I'm sure it can't cost that much and usually top notch shops will warranty their work forever or at least 5 years. That way if it ever happens again they fix it for free which is more the reason for them to fix it right to being with.

How do I know I found a top notch shop? As you say it's a small job so most shops will likely just want to do the very minimum, cover it with paint and take my money. This location is normally hidden by the trunk lid, so a less than perfect paint job is not an issue, that's why I think a DIY route is as good or better than giving it to a shop, even if the end result doesn't look as good.

The rust probably started under the rear window. To fix it correctly the rear window needs to be removed
This^^^ is exactly why I suggest a shop do it. And a top notch shop will warranty their work, shoty shops that just want your money won't.

Trust me I'm all about DIYing myself but sometimes it takes professional tools and techniques that us DIY guys can't afford or do.

The rust probably started under the rear window. To fix it correctly the rear window needs to be removed
I'm afraid you're right. Even if not started there it probably went under. I guess I'll have to take it to a shop after all. The roof can use a new coat of paint due to a shoddy work fixing a past bike rack accident by the previous owner, I guess it may all work out well after all.

Sort of related, the aftermarket tint has bubbled up on the rear window. It's it a good idea to have a tint shop work on the window while is out?

Long shot, but anyone has any recos for a reliable paint shop in the west SF Valley to Thousand Oaks area in Los Angeles?

This^^^ is exactly why I suggest a shop do it. And a top notch shop will warranty their work, shoty shops that just want your money won't.

Trust me I'm all about DIYing myself but sometimes it takes professional tools and techniques that us DIY guys can't afford or do.

You guys convinced me. Off to Yelp I go.

Archived