LegacyGT.com

inner tie rod tool size

I'm hoping someone would know the specific size needed to remove the inner tie rod. I'm debating whether I should buy a tool or rent one but I'm not sure which size I need either way.

Also if anyone has purchased a inner tie rod tool and can provide a link that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the input. I'd still like to know the exact size though. I'm looking a a slightly more expensive set on Amazon. I know someone else who has to replace their tie rods as well so we're going to split the cost.

I've bought a lot of tools from HF over the years and you can't beat the price but the quality is a gamble.

I don't know the exact size of the inner tie rod hold either, but agree that you should just rent the tool and save your money. You guys can just hang out and replace a couple inner tie rods together that day. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to save you a couple bucks.

Unless you are going to make money off the tool I would rent it from a parts shop, most of the time it's free anyway. Buy something fun for the car with the money you save!

Thanks, I know what you are saying that's why I mentioned possibly renting but I wanted to know the size first. I buy old cars fairly regularly and have done 6 tie rods in the last 10 yrs. Twice the auto parts place gave me the wrong tool and it was a hassle having to go back when I have limited time.

Anyone know the best place to get a cheap service manual? That's probably what I should have asked to begin with.

Buy the whole kit or rent one. There's no guarantee the new tie rod will be the same size anyways. Most come with 5 or 6 sizes that work on everything except the rounded inner tie-rod style. I'd say most are around the 1 3/16" - 1 3/4" range.

Archived