LegacyGT.com

Starting to look at 3rd gen Outbacks

I have several 2nd gen Legacy's, but thinking about getting a 4th gen Outback.

I saw an ad for an '05 Outback- based model but with the 3.0 H6 engine. I've been back and forth on whether I would want a 6 (I am solid Phase 1 EJ22 fan in my second gens).

Per my research the pros of the EZ30 would be:

Pros:

More power

Comparable MPG's to an EJ25

An extra gear with the 5EAT transmission

Timing chain

Fewer headgasket issues than the EJ25, but still happen on occasion

Cons:

Tighter fit/ harder to work on

Premium gas (is it required or preferred?)

If headgaskets do go, more expensive to replace

Does anyone else have anything to add to the EJ25 vs. EZ30 argument? I don't really need the additional power, but it would be nice if the MPG's aren't lower. Having to run premium would be a minus for me given how much more than the 87 octane I normally run.

Seems like you have the right idea. I don't think there is any reason the 3.0 is harder to work on. It's not really that much bigger. It's only a tad longer which doesn't matter and I doubt its much wider if at all which also doesn't matter. I did all 6 spark plugs without having to remove anything, took about 20 minutes)

Premium fuel is recommended, this is waht the manual says. Can't comment on running regular vs premium. I can say the previous owner ran regular and I only run premium. There is a chance you could actually get worse gas millage with premium, I know that's true for some cars.

In the grand scheme of things the con I saw was overall fuel costs being a bit higher. That being a bit worse fuel economy and the extra cost of premium.

With the 2 major pros to me being more power which makes the car way more enjoyable and makes passing a breeze. And reliability. Much less chance of head gasket issues, timing chain, etc. The ez30 looks to have a really good record. And from what I read the only real rival being the ej22. Which is where I came from also.

Personally still new to the 3.0 in my 09 Legacy but I'm enjoying it so far. I have to add the paddle shifting is also quite fun. Though that's feature is 08/09 afaik.

To add to nevets27, the 5eat is quicker shifting, and less hunting than my 4eat was. Though I did go from an N/A to a Turbo.....

Also in the US, no USDM outbacks had paddle shifters. It was an easy add-on 08/09s. Not so easy for 05-07s. I have an 08 so I didn't look into it much.

As for shifting, one thing I like about this generation is the sport shift capability, which works like paddle shifters, but you can upshift and downshift through gears using the shifter itself (which to me has the same advantage as paddle shifters).

As for shifting, one thing I like about this generation is the sport shift capability, which works like paddle shifters, but you can upshift and downshift through gears using the shifter itself (which to me has the same advantage as paddle shifters).

I can't speak for the 05-07s, but 08/09 the upshifts aren't the fastest, but but it can bang out a downshift scary fast with Si-drive in S# mode.

Also on the Turbo models, in sport mode it will hold gear until danger points..{redline, or too-low} Not all that bad, still not a 5-speed.

Yeah the upshifts are delayed which does suck. But apparently the transmission can be indirectly tuned. And therefore the delay fixed. I hope to get that done in the not too distant future.

The rev matched down shifts are definitely quick and fun.

Yes it does hold the gear till redline but then will shift. It won't let you do anything stupid like rev past the redline or down shift into a gear that would put you over the redline. So it's pretty idiot proof.

It definitely not a 5 speed but it's definitely a lot better/more fun then an auto without sport shift. The 3.0 never came with the 5 speed in usdm anyway. And the auto is nice in traffic.

My city has a lot of narrow roads, given this factor I prefer to use a cruise control regularly, not holding the gas myself cruising ~35mph (me stretching the european max. speed limit) gives me around 35-40 MPG. Of course, a spirited ride results in a much worse consumption. But the 3.0 is amazing and the 5EAT works very nice almost everytime. And it just sounds the best.

I will be retrofitting '09 3.0 EDM spec B paddle shifters and steering wheel very soon, you can do it too (and if you are not dumb, a lot of DIY solutions can be applied so you don't have to buy millions of other necessary parts except the wheel and paddles themselves).

• 2 weeks later...
Worn suspension bushings, requires 91 octane or performance/MPGs suffers, Dual zone climate controls usually broken (worn out actuators), 5EAT shifting pattern geared for max economy and upshifts at every chance, DBW throttle map is very touchy to drive in slow traffic.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived