LegacyGT.com

Grid lines on head unit

What is the phone number for Subaru CRS? Is it the 1-800-subaru3 number? Is there a particular department to ask for? Been dealing with this issue on my head unit and the one that replaced it 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Yes that is the number I called. The lady I spoke with was very polite and even established email contact with me over the phone to confirm I had a way to contact her back after the phone call. Just tell them exactly what your problem is and they will direct you to the proper person. The whole call probably took me only about 10 minutes - about 3 minutes to start speaking to someone and the rest explaining the issue and being told how they would help me out, what steps they would take to do so, how long it would take them to get back to me, and to ask me if what they proposed were satisfactory steps towards resolution.

I had contacted SOA for something else, and I popped this question. The rep said she needed to research further and got back with this:

"Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. I appreciate the opportunity to be of service.

After further research, Subaru is confident that the manufacturer of your audio unit improved the part prior to its replacement in your vehicle. They obtain any defective units for repair and reconstruction for this reason.

Sincerely,

Customer/Retailer Services

Subaru of America, Inc."

Nothing specific, but at least they believe its improved in some way...

That's good you thought of asking that. I guess time will tell if what they changed really did improve the longevity of the screen!

Edited by crudzinskas

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
Does anyone have experience getting the head unit screen replaced outside of the bumper-to-bumper warranty? I'm thinking of buying a used Legacy, and I'm wondering how much it will cost to get the screen replaced. Especially if I have to do it twice. It was very noticable on the 2016 I test-drove this week, and I know it will bother me.

As far as I know, you cannot get just a replacement screen but would have to get a whole new headunit. A new OEM navigation headunit will cost nearly $1,000. You can find used ones on ebay for much less, but I don't know how much I would trust those to last. If you are going to replace it outside of the warranty, you would be much better served getting an aftermarket unit from a place like Crutchfield that has as little or as much functionality that you want.

Not sure how long lasting capacitive screens are in the daylight. Plus the angle may add the the problem. I do have a car that is 8 years old with a capacitive screen but it is recessed in the dash, not angled resting on top.

I just had mine replaced a few days ago.

Bought the car in late 2014 (2015 Outback).

1st screen faded and was replaced under warranty in summer of 2016.

Replacement unit failed just as bad by summer of 2018.

Cost of the replacement was $1146 for the part (original quote was $1230.) Dealer only charged $50 labor although it took about 1.5 hours. I was able to get some "Subaru Assistance" cash to put towards the repair by contacting SOA.

I have no confidence that the manufacturer of the screen has fixed the issue. I've had 2 that failed, each in less than 2 years.

I do have to park outside in the heat at work which I think accelerates the problem. I plan on getting a sun shade to use from now on. Not really looking forward to dealing with it every day but I would like this screen to last more than a year. I'm curious if it's more the direct sunlight, ambient temperature or humidity that is the main culprit. I always cracked the windows before but that didn't seem to help.

I think you are most likely correct about the possibility of it happening again. Two things working here: more design of the HU and the placement.

My CR-V has 8 years and 11,000 miles with the same HU but it is a bit recessed. My 2016 Volvo has 25,000 miles on the HU but it is a bit recessed. There is no chain or a sticky on the Volvo sites about HU failures. So what is up with the Subbie HU issues?

I just had mine replaced a few days ago.

Bought the car in late 2014 (2015 Outback).

1st screen faded and was replaced under warranty in summer of 2016.

Replacement unit failed just as bad by summer of 2018.

Cost of the replacement was $1146 for the part (original quote was $1230.) Dealer only charged $50 labor although it took about 1.5 hours. I was able to get some "Subaru Assistance" cash to put towards the repair by contacting SOA.

I have no confidence that the manufacturer of the screen has fixed the issue. I've had 2 that failed, each in less than 2 years.

I do have to park outside in the heat at work which I think accelerates the problem. I plan on getting a sun shade to use from now on. Not really looking forward to dealing with it every day but I would like this screen to last more than a year. I'm curious if it's more the direct sunlight, ambient temperature or humidity that is the main culprit. I always cracked the windows before but that didn't seem to help.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! I have never seen one this bad! Keep pushing SOA until it gets replaced, but I doubt you'll have any issue having them authorize your dealer to replace the unit for you under warranty. You would think the touch screen is some fancy new tech that was developed this year with how bad this one degraded. :lol:

That it also how mine looks on my 2016. Not worth the effort as I put in an aftermarket stereo. What a joke though that this happens to their headunits

If you don't mind me asking, what stereo did you put in? I've been looking to get a head unit that will do CarPlay/Android Auto, but haven't found anything I really like yet.

It is just total crap that so many people have HU issues on the subbies. Also there is that issue where Sirius categories will not propagate. Was that issue finally fixed.

I couldn't take all the issues anymore and moved on. I feel bad seeing all the same constant failures. People bought the marque expecting a carefree ownership. I have no complaint with my current purchase, not one and the forums aren't loaded with people having issues.

I will give subbie one thing, it was my experience that if you got SOA involved things moved quicker and often got fixed. Dealers on the other hand are willing to give out the working as expected for broken parts.

I see my 97 OB Limited driving around the town. Darn guy wrecked the front of it!! It still has the rust above the wheel well, you know the one and the place that existed on subbies of that vintage. I wonder if he knows that I swapped a 2.2 into that engine bay? :) I wonder if he cares?

The Sirius categories issue was fixed with a firmware update. It was something that SXM changed that messed up some non-SXM receivers.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Good to know. What I do know is that SXM was not affected on any of our other non-subbie cars. My dealer was going to charge for that update but now someone else has to pay.

My dealer also said that there was a possibility of the update bricking my HU?

My car was a CPO and the lines where noticed on my first road trip which was about a week after purchase. Sales guy said his Legacy has the lines and he just lives with it. Dealer wasn't going to do anything until I got SOA involved. SOA told dealer fix it with no charges.

SOA is your friend. :)

The Sirius categories issue was fixed with a firmware update. It was something that SXM changed that messed up some non-SXM receivers.

If you don't mind me asking, what stereo did you put in? I've been looking to get a head unit that will do CarPlay/Android Auto, but haven't found anything I really like yet.

I have a JVC v830bt - a couple of years old now, had it in my old Impreza. Wanted to get something than Pioneer as they’re ruined as a brand for me.

Overall been really happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is just total crap that so many people have HU issues on the subbies. Also there is that issue where Sirius categories will not propagate. Was that issue finally fixed.

I couldn't take all the issues anymore and moved on. I feel bad seeing all the same constant failures. People bought the marque expecting a carefree ownership. I have no complaint with my current purchase, not one and the forums aren't loaded with people having issues.

I will give subbie one thing, it was my experience that if you got SOA involved things moved quicker and often got fixed. Dealers on the other hand are willing to give out the working as expected for broken parts.

I see my 97 OB Limited driving around the town. Darn guy wrecked the front of it!! It still has the rust above the wheel well, you know the one and the place that existed on subbies of that vintage. I wonder if he knows that I swapped a 2.2 into that engine bay? :) I wonder if he cares?

It's really a shame, I've put 96,000 miles on this car in 4 years with minimal issues. One wheel bearing, the gas cap cover freezing shut, and now the radio. Just got off the phone with SOA, I have to take it to a second dealer now before they will or won't do anything.

It's really a shame, I've put 96,000 miles on this car in 4 years with minimal issues. One wheel bearing, the gas cap cover freezing shut, and now the radio. Just got off the phone with SOA, I have to take it to a second dealer now before they will or won't do anything.

That's more than fair, since it's way out of warranty. I'd bet that SOA is gearing up to give you a new head unit at no cost or at some ridiculously low cost. Going to another dealer for another opinion isn't a big deal, in the grand scheme of things...

That's more than fair, since it's way out of warranty. I'd bet that SOA is gearing up to give you a new head unit at no cost or at some ridiculously low cost. Going to another dealer for another opinion isn't a big deal, in the grand scheme of things...

I agree, I have no problem getting a second opinion, but the car isn’t out of warranty. I purchased the 6yr/100k mike gold plus extended warranty when I purchased the car. The first dealer had no problem having me purchase a new head unit to fix the issue, but when I mentioned I have the extended warranty then it became “normal” operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
A final follow up on the head unit. 2nd dealer confirmed the head unit was bad as soon as they looked at it, so my car sat at the dealer since Memorial day weekend waiting on the new head unit. I didn't mind as they gave me a brand new Ascent as my loaner and it saved about 2700 miles on my car over the last couple of months. So I am still under 100k miles!! They called last evening saying it was done, picked up it and there is a huge difference in the quality of the display. It's all about the quality of dealer!