LegacyGT.com

Valentine 1 Install

Limeydriver

Fearing my measuring skills, is the LGT mirror stem 3/4" or 9/10"? [quote name='SuBK'] I have used it in my STi and now installed it in my LGT and is the best mount i've yet to see and is in a perfect location, it connects to your mirror stem and I hard wired it up to my map lights. Heres a pic of it when I had it in my STi... looks the same in my LGT but havent taken any pics of it. [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/bennycent50/V1.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That new V1 is a lot thinner than mine. I called Valentine and gave them the serial #...it is from 1998... BTW, is it me or is that car in the rearview VERY close!
Rehab is for quitters.

[quote name='ATB']Fearing my measuring skills, is the LGT mirror stem 3/4" or 9/10"?[/quote] I have a 3/4" but according to their website this is the vehicle specific fitment: -Subaru Legacy 2005 autodimming/compass mirror (23mm) -Subaru STI or WRX 2002-2007 without homelink (3/4inch) I originally had an 06 STi so I bought the 3/4" and then when i got my 05 Legacy I just tried to use the same one and it fit fine. This is the first time I even bothered looking on their size chart and noticed that I should have been using the other size in the Legacy but whatever, the 3/4" fits perfect in it. So it looks like you can go either route.

[quote name='TPLGT']That new V1 is a lot thinner than mine. I called Valentine and gave them the serial #...it is from 1998... BTW, is it me or is that car in the rearview VERY close![/quote] LOL the picture was taken when I was in a line of cars at a stop light

• 2 weeks later...
So I just got my mirror direct wire kit in the mail. The instrux look like I need to plug the pos. and neg. wires directly in the plug on the mirror. The plus has 1le,2 3 as respective numbers. Anyone know which one is pos and neg.? Od know how I can fin out?
Rehab is for quitters.

nevermind...I got it. There are 3 wires..pin 1 is postive (white and black on the wire) and pin 2 is the neg. Do not use pin 3 as the radar will turn off when the car is put in reverse. This is some sort of safety device from Subaru.
Rehab is for quitters.

[quote name='SuBK']its your call, personally I find the permanent mount more convenient and stable, the suction cup windshield mount is 10 bucks and the permanent mount is 39.99, so its up to you if its worth saving 30 bucks. I get compliments all the time from people on how clean and flush it looks too, I'm very OCD about that kinda stuff though I hate having tacky or sloppy looking stuff in my car.[/quote] So I am finally fed up with fighting the suction cups every mornign as I assign my V1 to the windshield...I got to work, looked up the V1 perma-mount 39.99 deal on the interweb and bot it! No more messing around....what the heck was I thinking...now V1 all the time w/ no issues!
Rehab is for quitters.

• 4 weeks later...
Being a n00b when it comes to electric installations, does anyone have actual working pics of the whole splice-into-the-mirror-wires-for-power process? Before I actually cut the wires, figure a way to plug everything in there and potentiall mess everything up insde my headliner, I'd like to be sure of what I do, otherwise I'll the power cord along the headliner, down the A-pillar and to the additional 12v outlet I installed right next to the hood lacth in my LGT...

Here...buy this and everything will be easy. [URL]http://cgi.ebay.com/VALENTINE-ONE-1-V1-Radar-Direct-HIDDEN-MIRROR-CORD-Kit_W0QQitemZ280251485803QQihZ018QQcategoryZ14935QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL] ONce you get it. re post and I will let you know which connectors to tap into..I think it's pin 1, 2. This adapter is a great deal and worth the $$
Rehab is for quitters.

• 2 months later...
You're going to plug the the 2 wires (hot lead and ground) into the first 2 from left to right of the plug on your mirror. make sure the wires are snug in there. Test the detector...you should be set. If you plug into the 3rd wire, the detector will shout off when you put the car in reverse. It is a feature Subaru has that shuts of power to the mirror when you reverse. There is a thread her on it. Let me know how you do...
Rehab is for quitters.

[quote name='TPLGT'] If you plug into the 3rd wire, the detector will shout off when you put the car in reverse. It is a feature Subaru has that shuts of power to the mirror when you reverse. There is a thread her on it. [/quote] The mirror un-dims when you go into reverse. All auto-dimming rear-view mirrors have this feature. The wire is 12V negative logic (e.g. 0v when in reverse, 12v otherwise).

"The display unit is just a little too big to fit in the ashtray itself. I plan on getting another ashtray insert to modify and cut on."

I have a 2005 LGT. The remote fit inside. Just remove the insert. Routing the cable takes creativity, but it's not hard.

I live in one of those areas that frowns on detectors so I had to hide it. I have add-on seat covers that fit over the headrest, so I placed the unit between the headrest and the seat top. Not a lot of passengers so a head doesn't block it from the front, and the reception seems to be not at all bad. I ran the power to the accessory outlet in the console box and added a hidden switch so that I can turn it off.

^ Nice!!! :D

Also, you might want to "conceal" a low-bucks detector, too, in your vehicle, as a "take away/gimmie," should you be pulled over by a RDD-equipped enforcer.

Remember not to actually power-on this unit, though (but have the necessary wiring for it, as you should "show" that this is the unit you'd used), as it being powered at the same time may negatively impact the performance of your V1. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Nice!!! :D

Also, you might want to "conceal" a low-bucks detector, too, in your vehicle, as a "take away/gimmie," should you be pulled over by a RDD-equipped enforcer.

Remember not to actually power-on this unit, though (but have the necessary wiring for it, as you should "show" that this is the unit you'd used), as it being powered at the same time may negatively impact the performance of your V1. ;)

Great idea! Always, thinking Allen!

Rehab is for quitters.

;)

"The Gimmie" has always been a favorite, among those who live in "no-no detector" areas. :) The V1, unfortunately, just leaks too much, and a smart-enough (or lucky enough) enforcer could well get a V1 user in such an area.

Just be sure that you've, like I mentioned above, got "The Gimmie" wired up so that it *can* receive power and function (but should stay un-powered when the V1 or other primary detector is in-use), and that a kill-switch, on a separate circuit, will insure that your V1 is totally muted and no-longer "leaking" to the enforcer's RDD.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived