LegacyGT.com

will the new projector sti hid swap into the legacy?

crex

The benefit of fitting the STi parts would be OEM fitment of proper HID optics, and probably OE-grade wiring.

A HID kit will get the lumens and the bling, the STI retrofit, if possible (and it seems intuitively possible to me...) would get you the real deal, cutoff, optics, color, output, and all...

It is probably not going to be cheap. Like buying a set of STI headlight housings, and gutting them.

Maybe one could put the Halogen projectors back in the STI headlights and sell them as WRX replacements afterward.

The benefit of fitting the STi parts would be OEM fitment of proper HID optics, and probably OE-grade wiring.

A HID kit will get the lumens and the bling, the STI retrofit, if possible (and it seems intuitively possible to me...) would get you the real deal, cutoff, optics, color, output, and all...

It is probably not going to be cheap. Like buying a set of STI headlight housings, and gutting them.

Maybe one could put the Halogen projectors back in the STI headlights and sell them as WRX replacements afterward.

exactly....

I'd want to see how cost-prohibitive this may be, too...... Sure, I've got no real numbers nor even an estimate, but my gut-feeling is that it's gonna cost ya, unless you can find a wrecked '06 STI with a perfect front-end. ;)

Brother VXCL is offering DIY full-optics kits at a very reasonable cost, with or without wiring harness - sure, it'll take a bit of time for you to make the retrofit, but his pictures and "product support" is excellent, and having assisted brother praedet with his complete retrofit, I have no qualms about supporting VXCL's offering.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

So can someone explain to my why you can't just pop in a HID kit? Whats the difference, and don't give me some freako explanation of how its like a tad bit different. Just tell the raw stuff, like what do it look like, and why will there be no cut off, sense my light cuts off now with my projector, why should the bulb behind it in a hid kit make it any different?

you need to read up on the requirements for HID in the US. Self-levelling motors, sharp cut-off and a washer system. We have a decent cut-off with our projectors, but no self-levelling. I have an aftermarket xenon kit - I'd like to add an HID lense and the motors. As close to factory as possible.

Limeade:

Legally, you can't just pop-in a set of HID-bulbs (yes, this will thus include the ballast, ignitors, etc. - but we're talking "exclusive" of optics) - there's plenty of lighting-enthusiast websites out there for you to search on "Google" that will give you the complete technical/legal "reasons why."

One such resource:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html - and very basically stated, it's the physical difference in how the light is produced that causes an incompatiblity which our (or any other) stock optics, designed for incandescents, cannot optimize.

(I would encourage you to read his other technical resources as well, it's a very informative site.)

Simply put, though, it's about keeping glare to oncoming traffic at a minimum. With most of these "illegal" retrofits, unfortunately, glare can be to an extreme.

Yes, your stock incandescents do provide for an excellent cut-off line, but once you switch to a generic HID setup, the optical will not align properly, and you will throw off a bit of glare.

Certainly, even then, it's important to point out that our optics "deal" with this extraneous light much better than on most other vehicles. Many who have retrofitted "improperly" (for lack of a better word) our LGTs with simple "plug-and-play" HIDs have said that they've received no "flashes" from oncoming vehicles, and that even when driving another vehicle in front of their LGTs to check out how things look, they see very little glare. Overall, IMveryHO, this type of retrofit, thanks to our well-designed lighting system, is "acceptable" for on-road use - but legally speaking, they fall short.

By playing around with such systems and adding in an H7/D2S adaptor to allow more proper positioning of the HID bulb, such glare is further reduced, and at least one of our members here has demonstrated good results with such a kit.

However, if you are either a lighting purist or truly want to do things right, the only way to insure that you have a proper optics match is to retrofit the complete assmebly - bulb/reflector/lens - from one OEM system to another.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Limeade:

Legally, you can't just pop-in a set of HID-bulbs (yes, this will thus include the ballast, ignitors, etc. - but we're talking "exclusive" of optics) - there's plenty of lighting-enthusiast websites out there for you to search on "Google" that will give you the complete technical/legal "reasons why."

One such resource:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html - and very basically stated, it's the physical difference in how the light is produced that causes an incompatiblity which our (or any other) stock optics, designed for incandescents, cannot optimize.

(I would encourage you to read his other technical resources as well, it's a very informative site.)

Simply put, though, it's about keeping glare to oncoming traffic at a minimum. With most of these "illegal" retrofits, unfortunately, glare can be to an extreme.

Yes, your stock incandescents do provide for an excellent cut-off line, but once you switch to a generic HID setup, the optical will not align properly, and you will throw off a bit of glare.

Certainly, even then, it's important to point out that our optics "deal" with this extraneous light much better than on most other vehicles. Many who have retrofitted "improperly" (for lack of a better word) our LGTs with simple "plug-and-play" HIDs have said that they've received no "flashes" from oncoming vehicles, and that even when driving another vehicle in front of their LGTs to check out how things look, they see very little glare. Overall, IMveryHO, this type of retrofit, thanks to our well-designed lighting system, is "acceptable" for on-road use - but legally speaking, they fall short.

By playing around with such systems and adding in an H7/D2S adaptor to allow more proper positioning of the HID bulb, such glare is further reduced, and at least one of our members here has demonstrated good results with such a kit.

However, if you are either a lighting purist or truly want to do things right, the only way to insure that you have a proper optics match is to retrofit the complete assmebly - bulb/reflector/lens - from one OEM system to another.

Great explanation dude, couldn't have written any better!!!!!

Unfortunatelly our cars do fall short of accessories, and gimmicks like the new Mazda 6 and other same cars in the same category/price do have them!!!!

Shame SOA!!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

HID's on the Legacy is something that I think we all have high on the list of wanted standard accesories. I don't understand why Subaru did not include this on their flagship car. And probably when the do it it will be half a**ed like the Nav system they offer now (Only on autos and the Spec B).

If they want to compete with other luxury models they should have these at least as options.

With that said I just installed my HID kit and it is good, but the stock halogens were very good as well, so the upgrade in my opinion is not that much, except for the "bling" factor which is not so much of a big deal to me.

X

---

Our reps told us that LGT models should be getting HID in the next year or so...not that it helps us now...

Of course, Day Late and A Dollar Short! Oh well.

Should have waited for the 07-08 model!

X

---

That thread is for McCulloch HID GB?? :confused: Don't think that'll help:icon_roll

He asked about putting HID into the LGT...not necessarily that bad for help, I don't think.

As far as the STi retrofit goes...well, there's enough speculation there anyway.

Archived