LegacyGT.com

Anyone find Bilstein HD B6 too soft?

I have spec b take offs with swifts. Was using it as my winter set up and keeping my coilovers for summer. I actually like the ride height of my spec b take off bilsteins with swifts. I scrape enough that I don't need to go lower with coilovers at all. I liked my coilovers last year which I only used for about a month before winter. FA 500s with 8k/8k swift springs if anyones curious. But I really hate the adjustability of coilovers. I spent far too much time tweaking everything. So I am thinking about selling my coilovers and getting some Bilstein b6 HD'S. My only concern is that they might be too soft. On my coilovers I run 8k/8k springs with them tightened to almost full stiff. The ride is great and with 440whp (soon to be 500whp with a new turbo) I just want to make sure the HDs can handle it. I don't track my outback. I just looking to have nice daily ride with enough stiffness to kill lean and squat. I don't want to mess with konis. I rode on a guys legacy with them and thought they were too soft. After typing all this I am thinking I may be better off using my coils. But I love my spec b bilstein performance I just want the stiffness to be closer to BMW or Mazda.

Cant find any information myself besides that B6 are designed for stock springs and B8 are for lowering springs. So I'm assuming the vavlving in B8 are more stiff and is most likely the route I choose to replace my JDM SpecB bilsteins

Hello,

Mine is not a racecar like your, But I have B6 on my Legacy and the are not soft in my opinion. My car is not a GT or Spec B. But with Bilsteins warranty and special design tube I could not go wrong.

Was your a GT or Spec B from the factory?

What Sway Bar and Endlinks are you running?

Mines not a race are either. It’s just escapism.

White line front and rear sways.

I think I’m gonna try the b8’s with Swift’s and see what happens.

Mines not a race are either. It’s just escapism.

White line front and rear sways.

I think I’m gonna try the b8’s with Swift’s and see what happens.

Report back! I'm not 100% satisfied with Koni's + Swifts, so I'd be interested in your experience.

Report back! I'm not 100% satisfied with Koni's + Swifts, so I'd be interested in your experience.

What don’t you like? I just ordered some today. Probably be two weeks before I report back.

I replaced the factory bilsteins in the rear with b6's and didn't notice much difference. It may have a tad less give than before but it's nothing earth shattering. I'm on factory springs so you may notice a difference being lowered.

My car has always been pretty harsh over bumps imo.

What don’t you like? I just ordered some today. Probably be two weeks before I report back.

Main issue is I feel like I'm crashing in to the bump stops all the time. Any sharp transition is a big bang. Ride quality is fine, if a little stiff for Seattle streets occasionally. It might be because the Swifts are such a big drop, there just isn't much travel left in the suspension.

Main issue is I feel like I'm crashing in to the bump stops all the time. Any sharp transition is a big bang. Ride quality is fine, if a little stiff for Seattle streets occasionally. It might be because the Swifts are such a big drop, there just isn't much travel left in the suspension.

They only have ~100mm of travel in the front, so the Swift’s are putting you pretty close to bump stops statically. You might need to get replacement shorter bump stops or cut your existing one.

Archived