LegacyGT.com

OEM muffler differences between NA and turbo

I'm trying to figure out which stock-equivalent aftermarket cans fit my car. The part numbers in the Subaru catalog are different between NA and turbo, but my understanding is that the dimensions for the mounting points and the flange are identical, and therefore any OB mufflers for this generation should physically fit. Am I correct, or is there some subtlety that I'm missing?

If the turbo muffler inlet has the same I.D. as the Y-pipe outlet, it's only 40mm per side. If we assume the high side of your estimate, 15mm smaller is a significant difference.

Frustratingly, I have yet to find measurements published for the inlet side of the aftermarket options, but if the one outlet measurement I found is correct, it's comparable to what's on the car now.

What exhausts are you looking at? Because pretty much most of the aftermarket exhausts that will fit your OBXT has been used by the LGT side of this forum and most of them have been measured.

This includes the DP to midpipe measurements and Y pipes; most falling into the 2.5-3" on the inlet to 2.5" at the Y pipe.

The only thing you have to be weary off is the OB rear bumper hangs out another 4-5" and you will need to extend the tips accordingly. The only OB turbo-specific full exhaust I recall is the AVO one and that has a 3" inlet to 2.5" Y pipe.

What exhausts are you looking at? Because pretty much most of the aftermarket exhausts that will fit your OBXT has been used by the LGT side of this forum and most of them have been measured.

This includes the DP to midpipe measurements and Y pipes; most falling into the 2.5-3" on the inlet to 2.5" at the Y pipe.

The only thing you have to be weary off is the OB rear bumper hangs out another 4-5" and you will need to extend the tips accordingly. The only OB turbo-specific full exhaust I recall is the AVO one and that has a 3" inlet to 2.5" Y pipe.

As sad as I am to admit this, I ordered a couple Walker mufflers last night. If money was no object, I'd drop coin for the AVO or Nameless in a heartbeat. It's kind of unfortunate that the only options are Subaru OEM which are priced almost like they are made of solid platinum, worse-than-stock cheap aftermarket, or performance-oriented that cost almost as much as OEM.

I already bought a new OEM Y-pipe because the front flange on the original pipe took damage and has rust perforation. I thought I would be able to save the existing mufflers, at least for a little while, but then I discovered how much of the mounting flanges were actually just rust.

On top of all this, I need to do something about the cat/downpipe, too, since that's what originally broke and caused the Y-pipe to grind into the pavement for about a mile.

Archived