LegacyGT.com

5MT clutch replacement.

My 2005 LGT is nearing a clutch replacement, has ~211,000 miles. Part of me wonders if I should have the transmission looked at for other potential issues.

I do notice some oddities like the clutch burning when in first with the clutch pedal fully down. I'm not sure if that's a side effect of needed a new clutch or not. Also the shifting is still kind of rough even after replacing the Front and Rear Bushings and the nylon one that covers the ball at the end of shifter. Not sure if it's the syncros or not, but after the bushing change it is at least bit better than when I first bought it, but not 100%.

Any suggestions?, Should I look into an aftermarket clutch? I don't see myself hitting the track anytime soon, but may want something stronger but still daily drive-able.

So yesterday I put back in the stock shifter vs the COBB double adjustable short shifter, It seems to be less rough between throws.

That COBB short-shifter I've tried adjusting the height all over the place to find a happy place for it and couldn't seem to find it. Anyone else experienced this?

I like the Spec 2+ clutch in my wagon. I little stiffer then stock, but will hold much better.

The best fluid for these is Motul Gear 300, not cheap, but much better than others.

For a 2005, you'll want a smfw from a 07-09 Legacy GT and 8 bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's basically what short shifters do...they add the notchy feeling and increased effort that some feel as "sporty" along with the shorter throws.

Well In my efforts I found a few rare and hard to find magical pivot point heights, that I could say the short shifter was "notchy" and mostly worked well.

Any other place wouldn't allow you to actually put it in certain gears, which ones those were depended on height you set it too.

Well it was an expensive experiment, but I have to say I actually like the longer throws of the stock shifter, it feels more satisfying for some reason.

I like the Spec 2+ clutch in my wagon. I little stiffer then stock, but will hold much better.

The best fluid for these is Motul Gear 300, not cheap, but much better than others.

For a 2005, you'll want a smfw from a 07-09 Legacy GT and 8 bolts.

Cool thanks for the suggestion! Do you know if the regular Spec 2 (non-plus) requires a different flywheel?

oh and I like ACT, had good experience with the "HD performance" clutch with a previous 5mt, very little change in pedal effort, held 260whp on a 2.0L EJ205.

Did that require a different Flywheel?

Did that require a different Flywheel?

I believe so, a used WRX flywheel should suffice. Those can be machined, while the stock "dual mass" flywheel on LGT's cannot. Most people recommend switching to the "single mass" flywheel when doing the clutch anyway (all WRX's and STI's came with one) due better to drivability and consistent clutch take-up.

I believe so, a used WRX flywheel should suffice. Those can be machined, while the stock "dual mass" flywheel on LGT's cannot. Most people recommend switching to the "single mass" flywheel when doing the clutch anyway (all WRX's and STI's came with one) due better to drivability and consistent clutch take-up.

Great thanks for the help!, I just scheduled an appointment for an ACT solution.

Contact the manufactures from their web site, I know Spec Clutch is very responsive and will answer all your questions. They helped me out back in June 2007 when I needed a clutch, they overnighted it to the dealership.

In the tranny forum, there reviews of some clutches. read them and then decide.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Contact the manufactures from their web site, I know Spec Clutch is very responsive and will answer all your questions. They helped me out back in June 2007 when I needed a clutch, they overnighted it to the dealership.

In the tranny forum, there reviews of some clutches. read them and then decide.

I spent a bit of time reviewing both, I chose ACT after watching several youtube videos from real people reviewing it and such, plus due to the sheer number of positive feedback I saw for their products. I did give Spec a lot of thought as well.

Don't know how long you've owned the car, But I love the Moore Performance Blast Plates on my 5mt. The tranny shifts so much cleaner, doesn't fight going into 3rd at high rpm.

Archived