LegacyGT.com

Calibration eye camera necessary?

I finally got my new oem windshield replaced by an reputable independent business that specializes in glass after a crack ruined my windshield.

I mentioned that the cameras have to re calibrated but he told me that it wasn't necessary because the cameras weren't being unplugged and the quality of the windows were the same.

We had done some tests at his shop and on the road (lane stability, objects in front of the vehicle, cruise control, car not moving during green light etc) and everything was good.

He also said subaru doesn't make their own windshields so a high quality non oem brand would have worked, although I opted for the oem. In other words oem is still made by one of the top windshield companies and you're buying a logo.

I tested the car again and everything works great. Thoughts?

Owners manual says to recalibrate. Your call and some will say do it and others say not needed. Your car. If you get in an accident and the ES doesn't function per factory spec, you have zero recourse with Subaru. In the end, you have to decide if it's worth it to you and your family to have it done. I always err on the side of caution but that's just me. If your insurance company handled your windshield claim, they will, most likely also handle the recalibration.

You have zero recourse even if you just drove the car off the lot brand new, got into an accident, and Eyesight didn't function.

Are you an attorney? What makes you make such a bold claim? If the ES doesn't function, and it can be proven that it failed, that is a BIG problem and a law suit for Subaru. You certainly do have recourse.

I finally got my new oem windshield replaced by an reputable independent business that specializes in glass after a crack ruined my windshield.

I mentioned that the cameras have to re calibrated but he told me that it wasn't necessary because the cameras weren't being unplugged and the quality of the windows were the same.

We had done some tests at his shop and on the road (lane stability, objects in front of the vehicle, cruise control, car not moving during green light etc) and everything was good.

He also said subaru doesn't make their own windshields so a high quality non oem brand would have worked, although I opted for the oem. In other words oem is still made by one of the top windshield companies and you're buying a logo.

I tested the car again and everything works great. Thoughts?

he told me that it wasn't necessary because the cameras weren't being unplugged and the quality of the windows were the same.

Is it the exact distance from the camera???? I will bet NO window are 100% the exact from a previous manufactured product that is why they're tolerance in any specifications.

Follow Subaru specifications, you paid a premium to have Eyesight safety ability then why short change yourself or family. If you wear glasses isn't your prescription specific and your focus a priority, well same with Eyesight cameras so for those reasons calibration should be a priority..

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Eyesight is a supplemental safety system. If you push the accelerator hard enough you can bypass it. Have we forgotten how to drive safely because of these systems?

Even when I use the predictable cruise control I am still 100% aware of what’s going on. I don’t trust any automated safety system.

If ok crash you or whoever crashed into you is liable, not Subaru.

With that said just bring it by the dealership and see what they say.

Good luck suing Subaru.

---

Eyesight is a supplemental safety system. If you push the accelerator hard enough you can bypass it.

not always, Eyesight disables the accelerator under certain parameters, e.g. if you are in front of a wall, put the car in D, and try to accelerate forward, the car will not move forward (assuming Eyesight registers the wall in front of you).

I know, you want full control of your car and the ability to drive into any wall you want.

In that case, you can disable the Eyesight system and smash it up whenever you like!

You have zero recourse even if you just drove the car off the lot brand new, got into an accident, and Eyesight didn't function.

Subaru makes it very clear that Eyesight will not replace a alert driver, A aid of course but no guarantees.

I am sure the owners manual is written twenty different ways to ensure they have no real liability...nor would I expect them too

I am sure the owners manual is written twenty different ways to ensure they have no real liability...

Tort Law 101: In general, you cannot disclaim liability due to negligence.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Are you an attorney? What makes you make such a bold claim? If the ES doesn't function, and it can be proven that it failed, that is a BIG problem and a law suit for Subaru. You certainly do have recourse.

Nope, not an attorney, just not an idiot. There's is zero expressed or implied liability with the Eyesight system, you use it strictly at your own risk. Subaru even says as much. Bet you haven't even read the paperwork on it have you? Subaru wouldn't bring it to market if they would be held liable. Just like the idiot who crashed his Tesla on autopilot and died. Not Tesla's fault he was stupid and didn't pay attention.

Is it the exact distance from the camera???? I will bet NO window are 100% the exact from a previous manufactured product that is why they're tolerance in any specifications.

Follow Subaru specifications, you paid a premium to have Eyesight safety ability then why short change yourself or family. If you wear glasses isn't your prescription specific and your focus a priority, well same with Eyesight cameras so for those reasons calibration should be a priority..

I'm telling you what an expert said. He even did the tests to show me.

I don't rely on technology. Short changing my family? Good one. I had my car calibrated today and see no difference after a few days of testing and after the window expert showed me himself.

I glad you had the calibration done just in case. When has your glass installer became a Subaru Engineer????

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

f14154534ec7a32afa64d95614f6edac.jpg

I'm telling you what an expert said. He even did the tests to show me.

I don't rely on technology. Short changing my family? Good one. I had my car calibrated today and see no difference after a few days of testing and after the window expert showed me himself.

Not sure how you are testing Eyesight. If you are talking about ACC which incorporates Eyesight Function which is not testing emergency braking. This is when the 1/2 second intervention done by Eyesight System is the difference between and accident or OH Sh!t moment. I have had that moment when Eyesight System reaction was faster than I could switch from the accelerator to brake when ACC is not activated.

I glad you had the calibration done just in case. When has your glass installer became a Subaru Engineer????

f14154534ec7a32afa64d95614f6edac.jpg

Glass installation place has been around for 38yrs. The owner knows his stuff. Subaru is next door and has the glass company come to the service and install their oem windshields. Calibration is not done by a subaru engineer btw

Not sure what’s the point of this thread then. You asked our opinions and you got them calibrated. If your glass guy who is an expert on Subaru eyesight windshields said no then who are we to argue with that?

The guys here simply pointed to the manual and what it suggests.

Not sure what’s the point of this thread then. You asked our opinions and you got them calibrated. If your glass guy who is an expert on Subaru eyesight windshields said no then who are we to argue with that?

The guys here simply pointed to the manual and what it suggests.

We're just talking. The point of the thread is to offer a different point of view. I wasn't arguing with anyone including the guy that installed my window. I just wanted to share a different opinion from a person that owns a auto glass company.

Eyesight should be calibrated, and...

I personally would not worry too much about it, mainly because it is a camera system, and a windshield isn't exactly a lens that distorts your view, so unless the new windshield is not OEM or a match for the OEM (I can imagine if it has tint in the wrong area where the cameras are located, it could be a problem, or if it has some strange reflective quality that OEM glass does not, but this should show up as more Eyesight disabled messages on sunny days or when it fogs up)...

i.e. the windshield isn't probably that big of a deal, as long as the cameras are not touched, and they are set back in the protective plastic hood, so hard to touch them accidentally.

This probably explains why dueling Subaru dealerships give different answers about whether they need to be recalibrated.

Speaking of which, how many dealerships have a special set up to calibrate the cameras, and what is involved? They probably just test it against a box and watch for warning lights. Maybe a tech could pipe in...

As per Mastro Subaru Service Manager the Eyesight Calibration equipment is expensive and the training by Subaru is a requirement. It usually takes over an hour but the majority of the time is spent on inspection, setup, diagnostics. The calibration I was told is done by the machine while the technician verify correctness.

I was also told the the glass manufacturing especially at the position where the cameras are located are certified to be clear without distortion. It is why Subaru request that only OEM Eyesight Certification on glass that will be used with their Eyesight safety system and inspection with calibration be performed by a certified individuals.

... how many dealerships have a special set up to calibrate the cameras, and what is involved? They probably just test it against a box and watch for warning lights.

Per the FSM, "doing it right" requires a large (and probably expensive), pseudo-holographic calibration target placed in front of the vehicle. Most of the shop time required involves precisely positioning the vehicle with respect to the target and verifying proper target illumination. Like wheel alignment, the quality of the calibration probably depends a lot on the skill and commitment of the tech doing the setup work.

From the FSM:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=264309&stc=1&d=1524234435

EyeSight_Calibration_Target.thumb.png.06e9367bab84fe2ee1b6e47124929d73.png

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I would probably leave it as is than have a grease monkey try to calibrate it at a stealership.

Safelite has their own people that calibrate the cameras.

Also, it's possible a highly skilled glass installer that can replace a window without moving the cameras and not unplugging it can possible keep everything intact without calibration.

Per the FSM, "doing it right" requires a large (and probably expensive), holographic calibration target placed in front of the vehicle. Most of the shop time required involves precisely positioning the vehicle with respect to the target and verifying proper target illumination. Like wheel alignment, the quality of the calibration probably depends a lot on the skill and diligence of the tech doing the setup work.

From the FSM:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=264309&stc=1&d=1524234435

same dudes who grab whatever oil filling hose is closest when they do an oil change?

what could go wrong...

what could go wrong...

That's a legitimate concern, IMO, but I want to believe that the oil change and car wash guys don't get assigned this job.

spacer.png

Glass installation place has been around for 38yrs. The owner knows his stuff. Subaru is next door and has the glass company come to the service and install their oem windshields. Calibration is not done by a subaru engineer btw

Just see it this way - you just don't order new glasses without an appropriate prescription.

453747.png

Archived