LegacyGT.com

Odd noise and instrumentation issues

Hello,

I have a 2018 3.6R with about 3000 miles on it and had some issues of concern occur today. I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else and what it may be. I was on a highway trip and anytime I got above 65 mph or so there was an almost constant not quite rattle but similar to rattle sound that seemed to be from the front passenger side. Then after getting gas the eco meter acted weird either full yellow or full green. Fuel economy was much higher than normal. When on a phone call the dash screen still had the audio information instead of the usual on a call.

I purchased the car in late Feb but this and already needing a windshield repair are making me question my decision after really liking it the first month :(

I purchased the car in late Feb but this and already needing a windshield repair are making me question my decision after really liking it the first month :(

Kirky, I have no suggestions unfortunately on your specific current problems, but can I make one general suggestion. Don't become one of those people who have a car for a very short time and then question their decision on the original purchase. Take the car back to the dealer, and if you get no satisfaction then take it to another dealer and contact Subaru of America. I'm not suggesting that there is no such thing as a "bad car" .... but most people on this forum who have had some issues, generally end up with a good result after going back to the dealer or contacting head office.:)

My rattle is above 40mph and on driver side...but it also seems to be outside temp related and/or how windy it is. I dont expect the dealer to find much when I get it in but wasn't worth a trip on its own.

My rattle is above 40mph and on driver side...but it also seems to be outside temp related and/or how windy it is. I dont expect the dealer to find much when I get it in but wasn't worth a trip on its own.

That’s interesting, it was windy today. Will need to see how it is another time.

I have the rattle as well and thought it was the passenger seat belt rattling against the pillar but i taped it up and the sound persisted. It sounds like a bottle or something from behind the glove box or AC unit.

Also hearing creaks in the rear suspension in turns. Going tomorrow morning for them to see what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the rattle on the passenger side was the black covering under the glove box area that covers up some of the HVAC stuff I think. It sort of just rests in place and isn't a very tight fit. It has two small tabs that hold it into place if I remember correctly, but it is a large piece, so the rest of it has the potential to just flop around on bumps. If you put your hand under there and push up and down on it you can feel/hear it move up and down easily. I added some sticky-tack/gorilla tape on areas that looked like might vibrate and that seemed to do the trick. Reaching under there is kinda tough - found it easiest to lay with my back on the bottom of the seat and look at it head first/upside down lol.

For me the rattle on the passenger side was the black covering under the glove box area that covers up some of the HVAC stuff I think. It sort of just rests in place and isn't a very tight fit. It has two small tabs that hold it into place if I remember correctly, but it is a large piece, so the rest of it has the potential to just flop around on bumps. If you put your hand under there and push up and down on it you can feel/hear it move up and down easily. I added some sticky-tack/gorilla tape on areas that looked like might vibrate and that seemed to do the trick. Reaching under there is kinda tough - found it easiest to lay with my back on the bottom of the seat and look at it head first/upside down lol.

Wow just noticed this too, on my car the plastic part feels very lose.

I’ll have the dealer try to tighten things up on my next visit and will report back!

I had the dealership take the part off and had them put some foam and tighten things up so the rattle under that area is no more, however I hear a rattle on the passenger side door area. Can’t pin point where the noise is coming from.

Wish subaru would improve their build quality against noise cancellation more.

I had the dealership take the part off and had them put some foam and tighten things up so the rattle under that area is no more, however I hear a rattle on the passenger side door area. Can’t pin point where the noise is coming from.

Ditto. However, you wanna talk about rattles - our 2016 Corolla S was 18mo old and had 6,200mi at trade in (for our 2018 Crosstrek Limited). Now THAT was a tin can. Almost everything in it rattled. Terrible build quality. Our new Subarus far surpass that POS.

I had a rattle that seemed like it came from the passenger side door, but turned out to be in the rear, passenger side. I would only hear it when going over bumps, and it wasn't very loud. After looking for it I found that the back seat side bolster (passenger side) would make a noise when shaken. I folded that side of the seat down and tightened the bolt at the top of the bolster (behind the trunk cover). The noise went away.

Give that a try, I was pretty sure the noise was coming from the front passenger side area, maybe around the seat belt area before I found this.

Archived