LegacyGT.com

Gold Plus warranty?

You don't add the extended on top of the factory...

It depends upon whether you bought your Subaru new or used. You are correct for new purchases, but buying used has different rules.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends upon whether you bought your Subaru new or used. You are correct for new purchases, but buying used has different rules.

I believe even buying used takes you up to the years/mileage that is marked on the form from the first purchase date and 0 miles.. Even when you purchase right before the factory 3/36k runs out they sell you the new plan with an effective date of the current date.

Don't think there is a separate used plan; but I could be wrong.

See attachment. Read it carefully.

Used Added Security coverage begins on the date you purchased the used

car and at the mileage appearing on the odometer at the date of sale.

Coverage expires when the selected plan year(s) have elapsed or

when the selected plan mileage limits have been added to the

odometer mileage at the date of sale (whichever occurs first).

[emphasis added]

Subaru_Added_Security_Form_1701_p1.pdf

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

What? If you bought a 5/60K...it will take you to 5/60K not 8/90K:spin:

You don't add the extended on top of the factory...it replaces the factory warranty so you have 5 years or 60K miles total...period;)

no the warranty terms are:

5 years 80K miles from date that I purchased car. so it will take me to 8 years and 80K (the 90K was a mistype) on the car. at the rate I put miles on my car I will run out of years long before I run out of miles.. Now I typically drive 100 miles a week or about 5.2K a year. Warranty has paid for it's self already as I got a new transmission at 40K (Subaru tech used an impact on the front diff drain bolt and that was all she wrote...

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

OK...maybe I am dense today but how do you buy a 5 year / 80K mile plan (which I do not believe Subaru even sells...there is a 6/80?) and have it get you to 8 years / 80K miles? Is this a genuine Subaru Gold Plus Plan or an aftermarket plan we're talking about here:confused:

... how do you buy a 5 year / 80K mile plan ...

Good point. I checked, and the earlier SAS contract form (dated 7/14) didn't offer a 5 year/80k mile plan either ... new or used.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Warranty has paid for it's self already as I got a new transmission at 40K ...

??? The original Subaru drive train warranty, which includes the CVT, covers defects in materials or (factory) workmanship for 5 years / 60,000 miles.

(Subaru tech used an impact on the front diff drain bolt and that was all she wrote...
That kind of damage wouldn't be covered by the original Subaru warranty, or by the SAS plans, anyway. The dealer or their insurer would have to pay for it. Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

??? The original Subaru drive train warranty, which includes the CVT, covers defects in materials or (factory) workmanship for 5 years / 60,000 miles.

That kind of damage wouldn't be covered by the original Subaru warranty, or by the SAS plans, anyway. The dealer or their insurer would have to pay for it.

it was not a Subaru defect it was a dealership tech who impacted the drain bolt back on the car...

it was not a Subaru defect it was a dealership tech who impacted the drain bolt back on the car...

WOW! I cannot believe that a tech is that STUPID that he used an air impact wrench on a oil drain plug...and these are the guys working on our cars at the dealerships:spin:

If I was the Service Advisor, his last day would have been right after he performed this moronic task.

well they were none too pleased when they saw it.. thee service manager was not a happy camper.

and I went back to my warranty paper work and it states 4 years 60K miles from date of purchase (April 23, 2016) so we are good for 2 more years or until the odo reaches 80K. At the rate I put mileage on the car I will be at barely 55K miles before warranty expires..

... I went back to my warranty paper work and it states 4 years 60K miles from date of purchase ...

4/60 is still not an option offered by the Subaru Added Security (Used) plans ... at least not since July 2014. I give up.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Look at your warranty and see who the warranty service provider is. It should state it at the top of the contract. That will clear things up fast but, as @ammcinnis stated, Subaru has no such factory plan so sounds like you were sold an after-market warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
Then my local dealership ... gave me the warranty for $1490.

Just be sure that you're comparing apples to apples.

spacer.png

I called Luke and he quoted me $1520 or $1530 for 10/100k no deducatlble on a 2017 Legacy Limited CPO.

Then my local dealership that I bought it from beat the price and gave me the warranty for $1490.

I agree with @ammcinnis...I had a friend who asked for the Subaru Gold Plus plan and the dealer said "we have that" and sold him a third-party at a great rate that sounded awesome but he didn't check the warranty paperwork die to his excitement around buying the car. Found out about a week later that it was a third-party and requested his money back and bought a Subaru plan from Luke. Check your paperwork and make sure it is a genuine Subaru warranty. If it is, then your dealer did you a big favor.

Just be sure that you're comparing apples to apples.

I agree with @ammcinnis...I had a friend who asked for the Subaru Gold Plus plan and the dealer said "we have that" and sold him a third-party at a great rate that sounded awesome but he didn't check the warranty paperwork die to his excitement around buying the car. Found out about a week later that it was a third-party and requested his money back and bought a Subaru plan from Luke. Check your paperwork and make sure it is a genuine Subaru warranty. If it is, then your dealer did you a big favor.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I definitely checked the paperwork when I was there to make sure it was the same 10/100K, 0 deductible that Luke quoted me and it was. Definitely good advice though since so much happens during the car purchase. And Luke was very easy to deal with initially so if they had quoted me $1 more than his price I was going to happily go with him.

security key card?...what does that do?

It is a secret decoder card that only privileged Subaru owners have access to who have made the wise decision to purchase a Subaru Gold Plan which allows you to see into the future and determine exactly when a warranted part will fail so you have the insight to have it checked out before failure. TOP SECRET stuff so, if you have one, keep it hidden from those that do not know how to leverage its power.....:eek:

Or...just put it on your key ring as tornichoe stated above:lol:

Edited by securityguy

• 2 weeks later...
I am pulling the trigger on a 2018 50th Legacy. I have not been quoted the gold plus yet, but if it is over $1500, I should probably contact the guy mentioned here, correct? Any guidance would be appreciated.

You should call him regardless...99.99% of the time your dealer will not even come close but you can call Luke now and get a cost and then see if your dealer is willing to match it or not and you'll have your numbers in advance. It ll depends on the deductible and the term/mileage so to say "$1500" means nothing at this point until you know what you want. Many options are far less than that through Luke and some are more based on the above.

This is what I dug up from late last year but I think the pricing is still the same. There are other options as well but here are a few:

7/70 $ 100.00 ded $725.00

8/80 $ 100.00 ded $800.00

10/100 $ 100.00 ded $ 1350.00

7/70 zero ded $ 905.00

8/80 zero ded $ 975.00

10/100 zero ded $ 1530.00

Edited by securityguy

After digging up details on what we have on the OB, We have a plan with Zurich for 5/65 from when we purchased. Close match to a 7/70 subaru gold plus plan. We had a $100 ded unless we went to the dealer that sold us the plan, but they are willing to switch that out to a 0 ded nation wide at no cost.

If I switch now to the subaru plan that Luke quoted, I'd be close to even after the cancellation fees and the % of plan unused that comes back. Any thoughts on reasons to switch to the subaru one over the zurich plan we have?

I had zurich with a ducati I had in the past. But never used it for anything and just transferred when I sold the bike. So not much experience dealing with them.