LegacyGT.com

Battery and brake lights came on

After grabbing a bite to eat in town, hopped in the '98 L wagon and I noticed both battery and brake lights stayed on. Luckily made it the 6 mile trip home with no dimming of lights and it restarted fine once back in the garage, but the lights were still on.

I'm going to check voltages with engine both on and off to check alternator function (since most posts online point to a failing alternator when both these lights are on). If it is the alternator, which is the best remanufactured brand? (I'm thinking Denso?). I'm also going to check battery connections and drive belt tightness (battery was new last year).

I've used the "Good brand" from Oreilly auto parts without issues. Much cheaper than the factory one from the dealership, and lifetime warranty. This was on my 02 wrx, I upgraded to the forester or lgt one which was 180 amps I believe where the wrx one was 140 I think. the wrx one would have been $50 more.

I went ahead and ordered a Denso rebuilt from Rock Auto. paid a bit more than other brands but I'd rather not have to replace it again anytime soon. The Denso starter has worked perfectly on the '98 GT since being installed over a year ago. It will arrive tomorrow so we'll see if I can get the wagon up and running this weekend.

Archived