LegacyGT.com

Exhaust broke. Looking at options, need advice.

BlackWagon GT

Last weekend, after 13 years and near as makes no difference exactly 140,000 miles, the original pipe broke right half in two at the rear flange of the rear cat. Unfortunately this happened going 75+ down the highway, so the front flange of the cat-back section took a pretty good grind before I could make it to a safe stop, enough to where I don't think I trust in it to last long if I don't replace it.

Basically I have two questions.

1. Is a decent-quality aftermarket rear cat even available, or should I just go with a one-piece Cobb or similar downpipe? I got a rear cat from Rock Auto for $230ish (Subaru's asking price for that part is $1200 :eek:) and I'm sending it back. Smaller diameter than stock, and welds and bends are crap.
  2. Besides AVO and Nameless, what other options are there for Outback exhaust? Again, Rock Auto has some options, but the low price point has me concerned after seeing the cat.

I'm not really looking for performance gains, but I don't want to step backwards, either. Input is appreciated!

"the original pipe broke right half in two at the rear flange of the rear cat."

Sorry, what?

DSCN7863.thumb.JPG.f8b0a0de138883c6224fae349f57c4cd.JPG

I guess you can get a stock DP from a junk yard.

Or get a catted after market DP and a tune for it. You can sometimes find stock DP for sale in the for sale forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

"the original pipe broke right half in two at the rear flange of the rear cat."

Sorry, what?

[ATTACH]263962[/ATTACH]

I guess you can get a stock DP from a junk yard.

Or get a catted after market DP and a tune for it. You can sometimes find stock DP for sale in the for sale forum.

In your pic, the pipe on the bottom a bolt in the flange. That's the flange that broke off on mine. I considered that pipe the rear cat and the one off the turbo to be the front cat. I didn't fully realize until last night, after I did some earnest research, that aftermarket DPs replace both of those as one unit. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I think a used stock one is the way to go. Really I just need the rear half of a stock DP, if I can find a good one from outside the salt belt. Then I just need to decide on what to do about the Y-pipe that's all banged up and crusty, which will probably lead to new cans when everything is said and done.

I like the idea of a full 3" turbo-back, but the price for parts and tune is a tough pill to swallow at about $2500, assuming I get new parts and an AP. Since I'm a bit leery of going straight to Stage 2 at 140k miles, I'd probably run the Economy OTS map most of the time anyway, which makes it even harder to justify putting all that money in for gains I'll rarely use.

I'm thinking the junk yard will have a mid pipe in decent shape too as well as mufflers.

You can use any nuts and bolts that fit don't get hung up on needing OEM nuts and bolts.

Use anti-seize compound on all threads.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Subaru's asking price for that part is $1200 :eek:

I was wrong on this one, Once I figured out the correct part number, the MSRP is actually about $650.

Any opinions on parts.com? Their price is about $610 shipped. Still looking for a used one, but I'm keeping this open as an option.

• 1 month later...
I'll sell you my Stromung wagon exhaust.. $1200USD (plus shipping) sounds fair? You'd still need a downpipe.. the CNT one is a good cheap option.

Thanks for the offer, but I decided to go a more OEM route due to total cost considerations. At this point all I (still) need is the rear cat, the part that broke in the first place.

Archived