LegacyGT.com

Stewdogg's 2010 GT

There is nothing wrong with using the factory AFR sensor as a good reference, it is what the computer is going to see when you aren't tuning. As I recall a couple of tuners pointed out the sensor's accuracy in some posts in this forum. Accesstuner limits the readings from the factory but I believe that can be adjust down to 10.xx from the 11.14 it pegs at now.

I'm trying to figure out if I can use a wideband in place of the factory upstream. In theory I should but its a learn as I go thing. In the accesstuner softerware I can change front upstream current to afr calibration. The sensor has a volt to afr chart provided in the online manual. So assuming its using a 5v ref I should be able to use that chart and ohm's law to calculate the amperage and be able to use the wideband for both closed and open loop operation and not for just tuning purposes. Then I can log data just like I am now and the car will have a more accurate sensor for all operations. I was just curious if that's what dave is doing, I had no idea he would tune your car with logs and video recordings. He's a pro though, im not.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to figure out if I can use a wideband in place of the factory upstream. In theory I should but its a learn as I go thing. In the accesstuner softerware I can change front upstream current to afr calibration. The sensor has a volt to afr chart provided in the online manual. So assuming its using a 5v ref I should be able to use that chart and ohm's law to calculate the amperage and be able to use the wideband for both closed and open loop operation and not for just tuning purposes. Then I can log data just like I am now and the car will have a more accurate sensor for all operations. I was just curious if that's what dave is doing, I had no idea he would tune your car with logs and video recordings. He's a pro though, im not.

I think you're on point with this thinking.

Well, we got some decent rain to wash the salt into the lakes and off the road again. That means I got to take the ole girl outta the garage and rip her to work. I'm going to wash it tomorrow and fill the tank up, just in case we get some snow next week that blocks her in the garage again.

I miss the GT already, the 2007 Legacy just doesn't compare on any level.

A little night time fall goodness with the GT.

IMG_7816.thumb.jpg.73f1f42e7ed0620be330e2cbccfd80d0.jpg

IMG_7819.thumb.jpg.cdafdf7c2302ad6a6c86db15ed15965f.jpg

It also reminded me that I have to test for a boost leak. I get a tid bit of knock just as boost hits, but goes away completely when the boost builds just a little.

I hope it's not the plastic flange from the stock boost pipe I used. If it is, I will have to have a custom flange made up and just run good ole silicone hose to make a charge pipe... I guess what I have now with a custom aluminum (?) flange.

• 1 month later...

I finally got this delivered.

IMG_8001.thumb.jpg.cb30210c8f15be5a232b961a78be27c4.jpg

I think it looks great in blue and will look great with all the blue in my engine bay. It's starting to get a little crowded in there with all the extra piping and extra bits for this build.

Now, I have to figure out how to install this little beast and where to mount it amongst the crowd.:)

I have a growing list of things to get done before spring:

1 Install AOS.

2 Wrap steering wheel.

3 fix the bit of rust on the trunk and driver's side door.

4 Install grill mesh.

5 Rear sway bar

6 New wheels/tires.

7 Install VEMS EJ cooling balance kit.

8 ...

What cover are you planing on using? I have been thinking about doing this also since I have not been liking the slick factory wheel.

I went with this one from ebay…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-made-PU-Leather-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Stitch-on-Wrap-For-Subaru-Outback/162782008506?hash=item25e69054ba:g:45QAAOSwvfZaIEc4

I chose that one because it had a little bit of customizability. I went with blue stitching and a mix of smooth and perforated leather for the pattern.

I paid $41 shipped when I got mine and now the appear to be $50. I'm sure you could find the same thing cheaper if you look enough.

I finally got this delivered.

[ATTACH]282261[/ATTACH]

I think it looks great in blue and will look great with all the blue in my engine bay. It's starting to get a little crowded in there with all the extra piping and extra bits for this build.

Now, I have to figure out how to install this little beast and where to mount it amongst the crowd.:)

I have a growing list of things to get done before spring:

1 Install AOS.

2 Wrap steering wheel.

3 fix the bit of rust on the trunk and driver's side door.

4 Install grill mesh.

5 Rear sway bar

6 New wheels/tires.

7 Install VEMS EJ cooling balance kit.

8 ...

Is that their AOS specific to the 5th gen Legacy? I emailed IAG a few weeks ago and they told me that they have a 5th gen test car and they will release a 5th gen specific AOS, but no ETA.

Is that their AOS specific to the 5th gen Legacy? I emailed IAG a few weeks ago and they told me that they have a 5th gen test car and they will release a 5th gen specific AOS, but no ETA.

It is not a specific AOS to the 5th gen. I followed the lead of those before me.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/iag-street-aos-install-262354.html?t=262354&highlight=aos

I also contacted IAG about a AOS for the 5th gen LGT and was told that they would not support any AOS for the 5th gen. It would be cool if they did, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• 1 month later...

A year ago today my LGT was leaving home under someone else's power and the engine build began.

IMG_6723.thumb.jpg.c1a0dc5beab67aa1653581efa1473e7e.jpg

On another note, has anyone that covered their steering wheels had this issue?

The bottom seams don't line up and the overall fit around the diameter of the wheel is a bit baggy. I'm trying to contact the seller with no luck either.

IMG_8179.thumb.jpg.4b95b732993d90f6a096fd6e2bd0442e.jpg

I posted the pics as links, so if you click on them the resolution gets much better.

I'll take some pics tonight of the vinyl I put over the plastic trim covers on the steering wheel. I was looking to do a complete facelift on it, but ended up with only the vinyl.

I PM'd him asking about steering wheel options... not sure I have that much $$ for that right now either. I need wheels and tires first.

Is it the 08-14 STi/WRX rear sway bars that fit our cars?

I PM'd him asking about steering wheel options... not sure I have that much $$ for that right now either. I need wheels and tires first.

Is it the 08-14 STi/WRX rear sway bars that fit our cars?

08+ the 15+ are 20mm that's what I would use

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks Falcor, that makes it super easy! Now I'll grab a couple end links and I'm good to go.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to use that janky steering wheel cover or choose not waste the time on it...? I'll put all my other bits in first and then decide if I have the time or effort to deal with that after.

have you checked on ebay or car-part.com for new used steering wheels out of wrecked cars? don't know what shape your wheel is in but there are a few on ebay in pretty solid shape for $50 or less

Now I'll grab a couple end links and I'm good to go.

I ended up going with Moog endlinks. Mainly because I thought the factory ones would be ok to reuse and it was the weekend. Couldn't get the factory ones removed without destroying them so I went to the autoparts store. The Moog ones are much stouter than stock.

have you checked on ebay or car-part.com for new used steering wheels out of wrecked cars? don't know what shape your wheel is in but there are a few on ebay in pretty solid shape for $50 or less

I haven't and it's a good idea, but mine's not in terrible shape. I more wanted it to have a soft leather feel and a little thicker grip on the wheel.

I ended up going with Moog endlinks. Mainly because I thought the factory ones would be ok to reuse and it was the weekend. Couldn't get the factory ones removed without destroying them so I went to the autoparts store. The Moog ones are much stouter than stock.

I will probably go with the Moogs in the back as well. I picked up a set of Moog end links for the front from HumbleRumble and they were beefier than the stocks as well.

Can you cut the factory wrap off the steering wheel to use as a template to trim your new wrap to fit like factory?

I don't think there's a wrap on the stock steering wheel. I think it's just a molded chunk of plastic/vinyl or some kind of polymer. I guess I really don't need to do anything with the steering wheel, I just thought it would be a nice cheap little upgrade.

FWIW, I too had to cut my endlinks off because the hex was rusty when I swapped RSBs, and replaced them with Moogs from the local parts store.

Fast forward about a year and a half, I noticed one of them had come loose, apparently some time ago. Tried to tighten it, and what do you know, it's already so rusted that it strips again. I now have kartboy endlinks that use bolts and nuts so I never have that problem again.

FWIW, I too had to cut my endlinks off because the hex was rusty when I swapped RSBs, and replaced them with Moogs from the local parts store.

Fast forward about a year and a half, I noticed one of them had come loose, apparently some time ago. Tried to tighten it, and what do you know, it's already so rusted that it strips again. I now have kartboy endlinks that use bolts and nuts so I never have that problem again.

If you are in an environment prone to rusting cars, your better off adding some paint protection of some kind to suspension parts, I don't have that problem here but I still changed mine to moog. Coincidentally when I removed my OEM links one was loose as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ohh, ive got the limited with the leather everywhere and the nav and what not. I just assumed all gt's got the leather wrapped steering wheel but obviously im wrong lol. I live near the mi/in border so I see lots of salt and I didn't have much issue reusing my links when I installed a 22mm whiteline rsb. that being said its probably smart to have some replacements ready, if you don't use them you could just return them. if you got a good pair of needle nose vise grips and an impact you'll probably be fine though

• 2 weeks later...
ohh, ive got the limited with the leather everywhere and the nav and what not. I just assumed all gt's got the leather wrapped steering wheel but obviously im wrong lol. I live near the mi/in border so I see lots of salt and I didn't have much issue reusing my links when I installed a 22mm whiteline rsb. that being said its probably smart to have some replacements ready, if you don't use them you could just return them. if you got a good pair of needle nose vise grips and an impact you'll probably be fine though

Haha, mine might very well be leather and it's just so worn I think it's plastic...:)

Here's a teaser pic of things coming along before stuff gets painted.

IMG_8211.thumb.jpg.5e1054d564698fce99d9efcb9e157804.jpg