LegacyGT.com

05 sti 6 speed

Ok so I’m ready to put my 6 speed trans in but can anybody help me figure out how I can modify the crossmember or buy one that just bolts rite on. If the 07-09 spec b came with a 6 speed shouldent that crossmemeber fit in perfect?

FWIW, I think you use the same cross member. My 05 5mt wagon has a STI rear tranny mount and I put the same mount in my 09 Spec B.

PM HAMMERDOWN, he would know for sure.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can use an STI transmission mount (04-14), you need an 08-14 STI transmission linkage, you'll need an automatic transmission driveshaft, and a matching rear R160.

The first 2 are equivalent to the Spec B parts everyone seems to covet on the forum, but are more readily available. The auto driveshaft is cheaper than getting a custom one made. The R160 will ensure you dont need to get expensive axles and/or rear hubs.

This is all 100% bolt in.

Im talking about the transmission crossmember. I’m using a 05 sti trans and the r180 rear diff I already have the 07-09 spec b rear axles and spec b rear diff mount and auto driveshaft. Just need my clutch and I can put it all together just need to know how to do the crossmember. Thanks for all the info guys!

I felt the same way looking for help when i did my swap a few weeks ago, the 6mt thread had basic steps but i had to take my own measurements. long story short, you are re-using the 5eat crossmember, you weld on an extension which will then bolt onto the 5mt/6mt crossmember.Bolt up all the parts then take measurements. I made a cardboard template that I taped to the crossmember to mark the position and length then had a machine shop weld on the extension. There is no part that just fits you have to modify it.

Here is a pic of mine.

IMG_8853.jpg

Yes, I was assuming the OP had a 5mt, as that is the most direct bolt-in for a 6 speed upgrade. You can resuse the crossmember for the 5mt.

The 5eat, as was already said, needs to be replaced with a 5mt member or modified.

Yes, I was assuming the OP had a 5mt, as that is the most direct bolt-in for a 6 speed upgrade. You can resuse the crossmember for the 5mt.

The 5eat, as was already said, needs to be replaced with a 5mt member or modified.

the 5mt member does not bolt up. it is an inch too wide, the bolt holes are far off. i checked.

Is your car LHD or RHD? Pretty sure the crossmember from my LHD car is the 5mt one.

Let me clarify. Automatic and manual Legacys have a different transmission tunnel. In the pic I posted above, the part on the right will bolt up to either a 5eat or 5/6mt car. The part on the left will ONLY bolt up to the respective car. 5eat and 5mt crossmemebrs are different in width as well as the holes for the transmission mount. Added to that, the 5eat crossmember holes in the floor plan are about 4 inches too far from where they would be in a manual car. Hope this clears it up. Rhd and lhd are the same

Archived