LegacyGT.com

Turbo Replacement Check List

After reading all of the horror stories about our stock turbos catastrophically failing I have decided to play it safe and replace mine (~145k on the clock).

I found a VF-52 off a WRX with only 32k on it for a good price so I pulled the trigger on it. I just wanted to make sure that I have all of the parts that one would need before doing the swap. So I have ordered or will order the following

New oil lines( send and return)

New gaskets (up pipe and down pipe)

New copper crush washers for the banjo bolts

Bolts to replace the studs at the down pipe

Is there anything I'm missing?

For your Tuner you want use Mike Kinsman, of www.tuningalliance.com He uses ESP's dyno in Sterling MA. To use any one based on where you live is just foolish.

Nothing against Dave at Cyro, but Mike basically goes by your house every few day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

actually I have the bolts to bolt the turbo down, had to buy a bag of 25, $2 shipped each.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mi-turbo-uppipe-bolts-244046.html?t=244046&highlight=bolt

The bolts in the picture look a little short.

I have posted pictures here a hundred times about doing this. I bought the bolts from the dealership parts guy's, well my buddy there gave me a hand full of them. I use the same bolts that bolt the up pipe support bracket to the engine block.

Also in this thread, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

I put a link to place to get the bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

For your Tuner you want use Mike Kinsman, of www.tuningalliance.com He uses ESP's dyno in Sterling MA. To use any one based on where you live is just foolish.

Nothing against Dave at Cyro, but Mike basically goes by your house every few day's.

From what I read here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tuning-alliance-etune-price-updates-254177.html , they don't do open source tunes.

Contact Mike, go to the source. He usually responds fairly quickly to emails.

That post was 2 years old. At least email Mike.

I'll see if he wants to update that post. I just sent him an email.

The bolts in the picture look a little short.

I have posted pictures here a hundred times about doing this. I bought the bolts from the dealership parts guy's, well my buddy there gave me a hand full of them. I use the same bolts that bolt the up pipe support bracket to the engine block.

Also in this thread, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

I put a link to place to get the bolts.

Off the top of your head.... Would you say an inch long is sufficient for the turbo to uppipe or go longer?

Yes. one inch long should be fine, I think the turbo flange is like a 1/2".

Remember to use anti-seize compound on all threads.

Yes. one inch long should be fine, I think the turbo flange is like a 1/2".

Remember to use anti-seize compound on all threads.

So basically an M10x1.25x25 should be enough for those wondering.

Contact Mike, go to the source. He usually responds fairly quickly to emails.

That post was 2 years old. At least email Mike.

I'll see if he wants to update that post. I just sent him an email.

I just realized that I had contacted them a few weeks ago. I'll reach out again.

Do that, He did get back to me. He'll be looking for your email.

It really depends on how good you are with the software, please understand it takes a lot of time if he has to educate the user, that's cost him time from doing other things, yet doesn't get paid to train people.

He will do a road tune or dyno as OS no problem, but teaching people over the internet doing a e-tune is...well I hope you get the idea.

I'm not good with a computer so I have no problem buying a Cobb AP.

Do that, He did get back to me. He'll be looking for your email.

It really depends on how good you are with the software, please understand it takes a lot of time if he has to educate the user, that's cost him time from doing other things, yet doesn't get paid to train people.

He will do a road tune or dyno as OS no problem, but teaching people over the internet doing a e-tune is...well I hope you get the idea.

I'm not good with a computer so I have no problem buying a Cobb AP.

I am pretty good with computers both the hardware and software sides so he shouldn't have to explain much to me.

There are stickys at the top of the Tuning Forum that talk about the cables to use for OS tuning. May be good info there.

Just finished my tune with Tuning Alliance and Im very happy with the outcome of my tune!!! Just about ZERO Knock any place in the RPM range is friggin great!!! Mike invited me to his house to do a (live tune) with him in the car to button things up and turned out great...He also had a few guys there so he could install a flex fuel kit on a STI...So he is a (do it all) kind of dude... Tuningalliance@gmail.com goes directly to him...If you dont get answer in 48hrs just email him again...He explained to me sometimes emails get by him....Good Luck with your tuning process!

• 4 weeks later...

Not for a vf52.

I finally replaced my fuel pump while fixing a leak in the fuel pump frame basket. AEM320 is the recommended pump now. Got mine from TA.

Archived