LegacyGT.com

What are the specs of the stock subwoofer?

My legacy doesn't have the subwoofer installed. Id like to put one in, but the 12" speaker and box combo that I currently own takes up a lot of space in the trunk. This was something I had to deal with in my old car and would like to move away from the lack of trunk space.

Subarupartsdepot.com has the speaker but doesn't actually list the specs.

https://www.subarupartsdepot.com/oem-parts/subaru-woofer-86301al75a?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9c291bmQtc3lzdGVtJmE9c3ViYXJ1Jm89bGVnYWN5Jnk9MjAxNSZ0PTItNWktcHJlbWl1bSZlPTItNWwtaDQtZ2Fz

This speaker is also way more expensive than I'd want to pay.

does anyone know if I could install my own 8 or 10 inch speaker in that spot? or is this some weird size?

I am willing to do a small amount of cutting to make it fit.

Try going to Crutchfield.com. Enter the info on your car and you may be able to narrow it down. For mine it looks like a 6x9...Rear deck. You are probably better off with ANY after market driver....

I guess my concern there would be the lip from the factory speaker. An aftermarket one will sit flush and not fit right.

Going on crutchfield presented me with 6x9, 6 and 5 inch speakers

Also it seems that I am unable to find just a subwoofer in a 6x9 form factor. They typically are mulit way speakers.

It's gonna be easier it you just get a shallow subwoofer and box combo. They make them for pick ups and will probably run you under $200. Check on cruthfield.com

The other option is having a shop make a custom box to fit behind the tail light area which will retain use of most of the trunk. I'll be going this route at some point for the same space reason. That 6x9 is probably not even a subwoofer- I could be wrong but I've never seen a 6x9 subwoofer before. I don't think there is a flat space in the metal that will allow you to cut out for an 8" sub..so definitely anything larger won't fit on the deck. The other thing is will it rattle with an actual subwoofer vs a mid-range speaker that's in there now?

Have you done this? If so how big of a hole is needed?

No I didn’t wanna cut through the rear deck,but I already got a quote from crutchfield with all Door speakers and a 4 channel amp for $450 shipped,but I decided not to.im thinking going different route,maybe get to 2 8” shallow mount subs and place it under the front seats and replace all door speakers.

No I didn’t wanna cut through the rear deck,but I already got a quote from crutchfield with all Door speakers and a 4 channel amp for $450 shipped,but I decided not to.im thinking going different route,maybe get to 2 8” shallow mount subs and place it under the front seats and replace all door speakers.

Barring that I don't find a better solution, I will likely do the shallow box idea. Let me know what shallow box and speaker you get for it.

Archived