LegacyGT.com

OK, Can we talk about the stereo?

I just bought a 2018 Legacy 3 weeks ago. I have mixed feelings about it. The ride is smooth, but I find the seat very uncomfortable. My biggest dislike is how horrible the stereo sounds. Mine is a mid-trim model, but it has the 6-speaker stereo: a step up from the 4-speaker base stereo, and a step below the Harmon Kardon stereo. I tested several similar cars (Mazda 6, Civic, Accord, etc) and the Legacy has the worst stereo, without question. There's no bass at all. I can't tell if the amp is just weak, or the speakers aren't big enough, or both. I'm always listening to music while driving and the stereo is ruining the driving experience for me. Installing a sub is an option, but I have never sat in a car with an aftermarket stereo and thought "this sounds really good". Usually the sub drowns out everything and rattles the trunk. My previous car just had door speakers and was the basic stereo (not Bose), and it sounds much better. What can I do?

I just bought a 2018 Legacy 3 weeks ago. I have mixed feelings about it. The ride is smooth, but I find the seat very uncomfortable. My biggest dislike is how horrible the stereo sounds. Mine is a mid-trim model, but it has the 6-speaker stereo: a step up from the 4-speaker base stereo, and a step below the Harmon Kardon stereo. I tested several similar cars (Mazda 6, Civic, Accord, etc) and the Legacy has the worst stereo, without question.

Well, if you tested those other cars and liked them better, you should have bought one of them :)

What can I do?

There are settings that you can adjust the equalizer to boost bass and lower the mid and high frequencies.

The HK definitely has this. I assume these settings to be present on the no-HK system too. But I could be wrong. Also check the fader settings to see if that is set improperly. This is your simplest solution.

From there, you can go to replacing all speakers, installing an amp and a "thump machine"; new head unit depending on how much $$ you are willing to put down.

First add a small amplifier, then upgrade the speakers, then add a subwoofer, then go to the head unit.

The problem with jumping into a new head unit is it is hard to maintain various functions your car might have that integrate into the head unit.

The stereo in my leased Limited is actually quite good, but you don't get the top trim stereo for free, Crutchfield aftermarket changes are probably cheaper than what it costs to go up in trim level to get the better stereo, but you have to do the legwork yourself if you want a good set-up in lower trim models (which is really how it has worked in cars since before 1970).

Best low cost solution: JBL CLUB3020 3.5" 120W Club Series 2-Way Coaxial Car Speaker

They are $40 on Amazon. I bought them from Crutchfield because I wanted the instillation guide. It makes a huge difference! They are 3ohm so they use very little power. Most car speakers are 4ohm.

These little guys going in the corner of dashboard. You carefully pry up the plastic speaker grills. This is much easier than taking apart the doors (which I will do next).

Disclaimer: I don't work for Crutchfield or Amazon.

Is there an easy way to insert a picture here. I have a picture of the old the old and new speakers?

Best low cost solution: JBL CLUB3020 3.5" 120W Club Series 2-Way Coaxial Car Speaker

They are $40 on Amazon. I bought them from Crutchfield because I wanted the instillation guide. It makes a huge difference! They are 3ohm so they use very little power.

Which car and which head unit do you have? I’d like to improve my HK system a little.

Aftermarket speakers with the stock HU may likely disappoint you. You need a better HU and, ideally, an appropriate DSP and amp.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Aftermarket speakers with the stock HU may likely disappoint you. You need a better HU and, ideally, an appropriate DSP and amp.

I would not mess with the HU unless you are 100% sure you okay with losing the built in integration.

Having done this, an appropriate DSP & amp combo works wonders without messing with the HU, especially if you combine them with aftermarket speakers and a sub.

I agree. Leave the head unit as too much is integrated with it. Change the speakers. I am not going for loud just a clear sound where I can make out all the words and instruments.

Got it, got my picture of the front dash speakers, new vs old to load. Had to make it a smaller size. I have a 2015 Legacy with 6 speakers total. It's not the fancy speaker system. My car has navigation built in the radio. Hope that helps you figure out what I have.

818298733_20180324_132010smaller.thumb.jpg.808d643dfece426d32a29f060eb179fb.jpg

I would not mess with the HU unless you are 100% sure you okay with losing the built in integration.

Having done this, an appropriate DSP & amp combo works wonders without messing with the HU, especially if you combine them with aftermarket speakers and a sub.

Good point - I agree. I should have said to simply add a DSP and amp. So long as everything is hidden (and you don't put all of the stickers that come with your gear all over your car), it should be pretty stealth.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Archived