LegacyGT.com

Clunking noise while turning either direction: CV joint, differential or other?

Howdy all, yet another problem has cropped up with the Legacy. (2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5 N/A, manual tranny)

Driving down to SLC yesterday I stopped for lunch and noticed a clunking noise dependent on the speed of travel while turning left. When I left later (about 2 hours), it had gone away. But once I get home that evening I noticed it had started again, turning BOTH directions (left or right), and while traveling forward or backward.

I thought it was a CV joint but some other thread I read mentioned that a CV joint would only make noise while turning one direction and even if the car is cold. It mentioned that it is more likely the front differential since it's both directions and it's only once it warms up.

I don't know much about CV joints and differentials though, so can somebody shed a little more light on how they work and what might be the issue as well as what my options are to diagnosing it?

If it happens while suspension is compressed on one side check your sway bar mounts. The rubber was badly worn and cracked on mine. It would clunk once on the turn and again once steering straightened. I put the car on jack stands and put the floor jack under the tire on one side and slowly compressed the suspension (careful not to lift off the stand) and I could see it pop at the mount. A quick fix...I slathered mine up with marine grease until the urethane bushings I ordered arrived..

If it happens while suspension is compressed on one side check your sway bar mounts. The rubber was badly worn and cracked on mine. It would clunk once on the turn and again once steering straightened. I put the car on jack stands and put the floor jack under the tire on one side and slowly compressed the suspension (careful not to lift off the stand) and I could see it pop at the mount. A quick fix...I slathered mine up with marine grease until the urethane bushings I ordered arrived..

Thanks for the tip but it's continuous as the wheel rotates, not just once or twice. If only it were that easy!

Check wheel bearings and axels. Make sure theres no play. Also check the sway bar bushings as Dave mentioned.

Checked everything over. It ended up being the CX axles, specifically the passenger side one. It had slung a fair amount of grease out.

When I removed it and opened the boot hardly any came out at all lol.

I put new ones in, both sides, there's no more clunking and she's quieter even driving in a straight line!

Archived