LegacyGT.com

Shock sensor question

Thinking about getting a shock sensor for my leggy, just wondering if the alarm goes off when an impact is made will I get a notification on my phone through the Subaru app that the alarm went off?

Today after washing my car I noticed there was a small dent on top of my front passenger wheel panel. Kinda pissed me off, it seemed like maybe someone leaned on it or something and it dented it. I took it to a paintless dent removal shop and they were able to massage the dent out so like it was never there. Of course it cost me $100, but it was done by a reputable shop and it took less than 30 minutes, still a bit pissed off about it. So I am wondering if adding a shock sensor would be worth it, this way if someone hits my car I can quickly go out and confront whoever makes any damages to the vehicle.

Thinking about getting a shock sensor for my leggy, just wondering if the alarm goes off when an impact is made will I get a notification on my phone through the Subaru app that the alarm went off?

Yep, but not through the app. You can set it to notify you via text, email, and/or phone call. I get a phone call and then go check my dash cam.

Yep, but not through the app. You can set it to notify you via text, email, and/or phone call. I get a phone call and then go check my dash cam.

Curious...what kind of dashcam did you install? Been researching them for weeks and finally bit the bullet. Should be here next Wednesday so my Saturday will be performing the install.

Cool, so you have th shock sensor? You get sorted by text that the alarm went off?

Yep. It had to be installed by the dealer, for some reason it couldn't get installed at the factory. They put it middle sensitivity which I felt was not high enough. I could kick the tires hard/shake the car and it couldn't go off. Part of the reason I wanted it was so I could get notified if someone hits my car. I went back and had them put it on the highest sensitivity. I've had a couple false alarms where I checked my cam and couldn't find anything except heavy wind. Would I do it again, or if I decide to try and adjust it on my own, I would go with 90% sensitivity. 100% is just slightly too light.

I get a text, email, and phone call if my alarm goes off. Sometimes calls get routed straight to voicemail but texts will come through. And if all else fails I'll see the email notification.

Curious...what kind of dashcam did you install? Been researching them for weeks and finally bit the bullet. Should be here next Wednesday so my Saturday will be performing the install.

I bought a Vantrue N2 Pro dash cam with GPS mount and had it hardwired with a VicoVation Vico Power PLUS battery discharge prevention device. In Parking Mode the Vantrue is motion activated and when hardwired will record when the vehicle is off. The Vico Power setup will stop it from the draining the battery too far should you not drive for several days. I also upgraded from the factory battery to a DieHard Advanced Gold battery (size 34). It's an AGM battery and has many advantages for this type of setup.

I recently decided to do a spot check and make sure everything was working correctly when I found this gem.

Couple POS's up to no good. If you watch the whole thing they go and visit several vehicles.

Yep. It had to be installed by the dealer, for some reason it couldn't get installed at the factory. They put it middle sensitivity which I felt was not high enough. I could kick the tires hard/shake the car and it couldn't go off. Part of the reason I wanted it was so I could get notified if someone hits my car. I went back and had them put it on the highest sensitivity. I've had a couple false alarms where I checked my cam and couldn't find anything except heavy wind. Would I do it again, or if I decide to try and adjust it on my own, I would go with 90% sensitivity. 100% is just slightly too light.

I get a text, email, and phone call if my alarm goes off. Sometimes calls get routed straight to voicemail but texts will come through. And if all else fails I'll see the email notification.

If you don’t mind me asking how much did they charge you to install it? Like hours/labor wise.

I bought a Vantrue N2 Pro dash cam with GPS mount and had it hardwired with a VicoVation Vico Power PLUS battery discharge prevention device. In Parking Mode the Vantrue is motion activated and when hardwired will record when the vehicle is off. The Vico Power setup will stop it from the draining the battery too far should you not drive for several days. I also upgraded from the factory battery to a DieHard Advanced Gold battery (size 34). It's an AGM battery and has many advantages for this type of setup.

I recently decided to do a spot check and make sure everything was working correctly when I found this gem.

Couple POS's up to no good. If you watch the whole thing they go and visit several vehicles.

Nice, so if someone tries to open the door the camera will automatically check the sides?

Lastly could you post a pic where and how your installed it? I know with the eyesight I gotta careful where I place it.

Nice, so if someone tries to open the door the camera will automatically check the sides?

Lastly could you post a pic where and how your installed it? I know with the eyesight I gotta careful where I place it.

Any motion picked up by the front or rear facing camera will trigger a recording of both. I just edited that together in a viewing friendly way.

Sure, in the meantime here's a rough idea.

2018-subaru-legacy-awd-2-5i-limited-4dr-sedan-059-large__01.thumb.jpg.2321470f9af90ac4921b7d5318893b41.jpg

Dammit, that side I have the remote start lol. I guess I can put it on the other side passenger side.

Someone posted this on the outback forums:

https://imgur.com/a/xD4oo

Mine sits right below the remote start. I thought it might be in my sight line and bother me but I tried it and it's great. But I also specifically wanted the driver's side window/interior covered by the rear camera.

That's a pretty cool workup!

What are the parameters with ES on where things can be installed on the glass? I have seen a diagram but can't find it. I thought that behind the rear view mirror was an acceptable location? If not...need some guidance as I don't care for it, nor want it, in the top right/left of my windshield.

What are the parameters with ES on where things can be installed on the glass? I have seen a diagram but can't find it. I thought that behind the rear view mirror was an acceptable location?

I personally wouldn't.

Here is one version-

Here's another-

16154190140_4d56070371_z.jpg

I was thinking of getting the shock sensor as well but decided against it to avoid the extra calls, texts and emails.

As for the dashcam I went with what Garmin was offering. It was able to stick it to the dot matrix and I haven’t had any interference with eyesight since I’ve had the car. Purchase the parking cable with it too so when the car is powered off the vehicle will record any motion and still not drain the car’s battery.

16a5ffdcb8708a99e2f78f2d8537b5f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manual says don't even replace your rearview and that's located behind the cameras.

What people also seem to be forgetting is the reflection of the camera, even placed behind the rearview.

Subaru has been running the system a lot longer than me so I'll take their word on what not to do. Just because someone is doing something and it hasn't bit them in the ass yet doesn't mean it won't at some point. One of the big reasons I bought my Legacy was for the Eyesight so to do something that could interfere with it and cause it not to work just seems like a waste of my good money.

Thanks for posting this. I was able to confirm that my camera installation is in the safe zone of the dot matrix and will not cause a reflection into the stereo cameras and won’t interfere with the EyeSight.

Thanks for posting this. I was able to confirm that my camera installation is in the safe zone of the dot matrix and will not cause a reflection into the stereo cameras and won’t interfere with the EyeSight.

Did you miss the part where it says the ETC can't be thicker than 1.5"? Your setup certainly looks bigger than that.

Archived