LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy Gt with a phase 2 Trans?

First post here, so lets start with a little bit of a preface. I got a 1997 Legacy the other day for steal, and have been working on it for about a week and have replaced the maf, alternator, and a good bit of interior pieces. Its running good now but I haven't gotten around to taking it on a test drive yet. When I got it, I was told that the transmission had been replaced and the guy gave me the original transmission with the car.

Here's the question, as I started looking at it, someone cut the wires going to the trans and spliced them into the old connector. Now there are 3 pairs of unused wires. They are speed sensor 1, speed sensor 2, and turbine speed sensor. Are these just for the speedometer or are they for shifting points?

Is it going to hurt anything to drive the car like it is?

Should I try looking at the original trans and seeing whats wrong with it so I can swap it back in? If so what are some tests I can do to see if anything is wrong with the original trans?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!

-Dillon

• 2 weeks later...
99 outbacks had a phase 2 4eat... Just pulled and re-gasketed my engine and was kinda surprised about this myself... It's still a phase 1 engine though.

Correction, the 99 is a "Phase 1.5" engine. It has a Phase 2 block and rotating assembly, but phase 1 heads and intake. It was Subaru's frankenmotor. Interestingly enough, I just bought a 98 that has a P2 block and P1 heads and I verified it is the correct motor for that car. Numbers matching.

Correction, the 99 is a "Phase 1.5" engine. It has a Phase 2 block and rotating assembly, but phase 1 heads and intake. It was Subaru's frankenmotor. Interestingly enough, I just bought a 98 that has a P2 block and P1 heads and I verified it is the correct motor for that car. Numbers matching.

I literally am in the process of putting my engine back in. It's a 99 Legacy Outback. It has Phase 1 Heads and Phase 1 block. (not enough bolt holes on the back for more than 2 bolts and the lower studs). However it has a phase 2 4EAT. I'm sure there were some outliers like mine but not all 99's are going to be the same.

I literally am in the process of putting my engine back in. It's a 99 Legacy Outback. It has Phase 1 Heads and Phase 1 block. (not enough bolt holes on the back for more than 2 bolts and the lower studs). However it has a phase 2 4EAT. I'm sure there were some outliers like mine but not all 99's are going to be the same.

I did the same thing. My 99 has a 97 motor in it that I built from the ground up.

To the original poster... I would personally hook those sensors back into the wiring. I don't know which sensors you "need" to move the car but Subaru put all those sensors there for a reason.

The Phase 2 4EAT will definitely not work with a Phase 1 TCU. The sensors are not the same and they will not work with the Phase 1 electronics and they are not swappable between transmissions because they're internal. A 5MT will work because the speed sensor and reverse sensor are swappable between generations.

Hey guys, I've been super busy lately and haven't had time for much other than work and sleep haha. It's definitely an automatic, sorry I completely blanked out on that! And yeah, I've talked to a few of my friends on Facebook and have realized that the phase 2 isn't going to work no matter what.... Disappointing, but I have a spare phase 1 4eat that came with the car and have been recently taking it apart, I'm looking to see if anything stands out or is clearly wrong with it.

Here's the thing, I've been told a couple different stories about the spare trans, the guy I got the car from was told that something was wrong with it. The guy before him (the one that put the phase 2 trans in) said the the front shaft on the trans was broke which is why he swapped it out, but also that the original trans was stolen out of his backyard..... Soooooo, I have no clue who or where this mysterious spare phase 1 4eat came from or where to even start looking at for issues with it....

Sorry for the long winded story, but I said all of that to ask, will the phase 2 torque convertor work on the spare phase 1, bc someone took it off(I know, I'm gonna have fun properly re-seating it)?

If the front shaft on the spare phase 1 trans is broken, will the phase 2 shaft work? Are a lot of the phase 2 hard parts interchangeable to the phase 1?

The oil pan on the spare trans is dent pretty bad, I'm guessing due to being moved around a lot by previous owners... Will the phase 2 pan fit on the phase 1?

Are the Duty C Solenoids interchangeable?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm a noob when it comes to Subaru's and automatics for that matter haha. I would go out and buy a known good phase 1 4eat, but I can't seem to find one locally, everything that I've found is phase 2 crap....

Ohh also, kind of on an unrelated note, and I'm pretty sure they're not the same, but would an auto trans out of a 97 Impreza L 2.2 work? I couldn't find out much info about the interchangeability of them even though I searched for a while yesterday...

Thanks so much y'all! I can't wait to get this thing to daily drive-able condition!! I'll post some pics soon in another thread if y'all are interested!

• 2 weeks later...
So to update a bit, I got the phase 2 tranny pulled, and took the bellhousing off the spare phase 1 trans. The only thing that I can tell is messed up is the trans oil pump.... It spins for about half a turn both ways and then just stops. I've got to rig a gear puller so that I can take it all apart and see exactly how it failed, but given that nothing is unusually worn, I'm gonna try to Frankenstein the phase 2 pump into the phase 1 trans, there are a few differences, but I think I should be able to make it work.... I'll update when I find out more info!

Archived