LegacyGT.com

Is Subaru Axing Legacy 3.6R?

lagacyforce

The HT CVT (both current flavors/revisions and likely a third that's mated to the Ascent powerplant) is actually a great transmission and pairs very very well with Subaru engines and S-AWD drivetrains.

They've mated it to Legacy DITs first back in 2012, 2013 and in stock form these delivered 220kW (296bhp) and 400Nm (295ftlbf), with a fair bunch pushing north of 20% more once tuned and tracked (often!) across APAC.

Then came the current-gen FXT fitted with the FA20DIT across the globe. Followed by the current-gen WRX, WRX S4, Levorg GT/GT-S, etc. Again up to ~300bhp and 300ftlbf in stock form depending on model and market.. Many ~ 340-360ftlbf peak and a sustained 220-250ftlbf avg across the DD RPM range, once tuned.

And yes, finally the chain-cog slushbox (tiny TC still there!) also ended up mated to the EZ36D in the 6th gen Legacy and 5th gen Outback. Plenty of torque, especially at low RPM with these old motors.

I find that this HT CVT slushbox pairs very well with the torquey nature of either the FA20DIT, EZ36D and hence likely also the FA24DIT.

Would it be nice to see a PDK/DSG-like gearbox instead? Sure. Will we ever? No chance.

Subaru will likely convert the fleet over to Eyesight 8.0, full autonomy, no steering wheel and no ICE before that happens lol.

I prefer the CVT over a DSG box since there's no point in having a stepped gearbox. I'm not sure why people thinks that the DSGs are such unicorns.

The HT-CVT also goes very well together with the EE20. It's actually better than the 6MT together with the EE20.

What I don't like with the CVT is the simulated shifts when you give it a bit more throttle. Completely unnecessary.

453747.png

IDK, Maybe I'm getting old. I don't mine paying for what I get, PLEASE give me that option. The 3.6 Leggy is adequate in Power and delivery. I'd like to see around 350hp, kinda like Camry, Fusion... I could go on.

Yes, Turbo/Supercharge(Direct driven, no belts) as option for the "Touring" ie. Limited+

YES Heated steering wheel option for the Legacy, WTF??(Maine)

I also don't understand the infatuation with DSGs and any form of dual-clutch.

The HT-CVT pairs great with the Fx2xDITs and EZ36D.

I can understand dual clutch in some applications, like on trucks where a gearbox is utilized a lot harder and a CVT would wear out too fast. Changing the wear parts of a clutch is cheaper than changing the gearbox.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZuLsEoW1qY]I-Shift vs. I-Shift Dual Clutch - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

IDK, Maybe I'm getting old. I don't mine paying for what I get, PLEASE give me that option. The 3.6 Leggy is adequate in Power and delivery. I'd like to see around 350hp, kinda like Camry, Fusion... I could go on.

Yes, Turbo/Supercharge(Direct driven, no belts) as option for the "Touring" ie. Limited+

YES Heated steering wheel option for the Legacy, WTF??(Maine)

Yeah but there seem to be a lot of problems with the turbos failing on the Fusion after 40k miles... "just" outside of warranty...

Camry is looking decent, I don't really go for the tron-like appearance that was on the Lexus IS a few years ago, and even then, the V6 XLE starts I think around 35?

I'm keeping an eye on the Mazda Skyactiv-D technology. That looks interesting if they can truly pull off an efficient diesel engine without the need for post-treatment. I also dig their whole concept of having a regenerative braking system on a non-hybrid that flows power into a capacitor for accessory power... It's a different approach, I like it. Thinking outside the box.

Archived