LegacyGT.com

Best Equipment - OBDII

The Launch CRP123 is awesome, I don't think anything near that price point comes close. Reads pretty much all modules for all brands, and the definitions are updated all the time.

Can I ask where you got your tool from?

I spoke with the people at LAUNCH Tech USA Inc.

They said if I don't get it through one of these Reseller: The CRP123P is available in the US through: Mac Tools, Cornwell Tools, Napa Auto, AutoZone, Carquest, Advance Auto, Autopart Int'l and Best Buy Automotive

The can't help with any issues, also they say that these tool that don't go through them are not made for USA Market.

Also, these tools only have a 3 month warranty.

Have you had any issue with yours?

I check / clear codes.

Do you have a recommendation?

Then why don't you get the Torque app or the btssm app? You can install these on your (android) phone, get the appropriate bluetooth sensor plugged in to your obdII port and voila. If you choose the Torque app, I believe you can get all of this for less than 30$.

Can I ask where you got your tool from?

I spoke with the people at LAUNCH Tech USA Inc.

They said if I don't get it through one of these Reseller: The CRP123P is available in the US through: Mac Tools, Cornwell Tools, Napa Auto, AutoZone, Carquest, Advance Auto, Autopart Int'l and Best Buy Automotive

The can't help with any issues, also they say that these tool that don't go through them are not made for USA Market.

Also, these tools only have a 3 month warranty.

Have you had any issue with yours?

Used via eBay 4 years ago, never a problem. Their tech support has been responsive with developing updates whenever I found modules/codes it couldn't read properly.

Interesting that the above list of endorsed resellers does not include Launch's own storefront on Amazon, wherein they advertise a 1-year warranty.

Then why don't you get the Torque app or the btssm app? You can install these on your (android) phone, get the appropriate bluetooth sensor plugged in to your obdII port and voila. If you choose the Torque app, I believe you can get all of this for less than 30$.

BtSsm is awesome. I love it without reservation. What it does (Subaru-specific ECU monitoring) is entirely different from a full-featured OBD scanner.

Torque is also a useful tool (general ECU monitoring) but will also not read multiple modules from multiple manufacturers.

If you want to pull ABS codes from a Subaru, airbag codes from a BMW, and chassis codes from a GMC, neither of those tools will help you.

How much are you looking to spend? What don't you like about the Innova 3150d?

I would spend to around $300.

But for that price I want to be able to see real results.

Don't like: I mad that I did not do my homework - these basically don't work on Subaru's. I can only read some codes, and clear engine codes.

https://innova.com/en-US/Product/Detail/3150d

BtSsm is awesome. I love it without reservation. What it does (Subaru-specific ECU monitoring) is entirely different from a full-featured OBD scanner.

Torque is also a useful tool (general ECU monitoring) but will also not read multiple modules from multiple manufacturers.

If you want to pull ABS codes from a Subaru, airbag codes from a BMW, and chassis codes from a GMC, neither of those tools will help you.

Thank you for your honesty. I really appreciate it.

Sure. That's why I was asking though. It was not too clear if the OP wanted to pull codes from various car brands or just from our car. If it is the latter, then it is a no brainer, that is if the goal is strictly to pull ECU related CEL codes. As you said, airbag/abs codes won't be read by these apps.

I recall 10 years ago having to go to a Subie dealer to read the airbag code. 100$. Thank you very much! :mad:

Used via eBay 4 years ago, never a problem. Their tech support has been responsive with developing updates whenever I found modules/codes it couldn't read properly.

Interesting that the above list of endorsed resellers does not include Launch's own storefront on Amazon, wherein they advertise a 1-year warranty.

I sent a request to the Amazon Website named "LaunchDirect" storefront

to see if this website is the same company, and I am going to ask the main company in California the same question.

I got a answer to what you asked.

They said this:

Message from 3rd party seller:

Hello Michael,

We at Launch Tech Co., Ltd have registered the trademark both in Republic of China and the United States. We are based in Shenzhen, China and Launch Tech USA is one of our local dealers.

If you have any problem about technical support and after-sale service, please contact us but not Launch Tech USA.

About the warranties and free download of our products are the same as LAUNCH Tech USA.

Thanks.

I asked a few more questions, and this was the reply.

Message from 3rd party seller:

Yes, we are the manufacturer of LAUNCH products.

If you purchase the product from us, you can contact us for after-sale service since we know more details about your order.

The warranty of this product you mentioned is one year.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards.

I'm satisfied as long as the OBD reader can read the codes I have in the cars I connect it to. Then it's more a question of understanding the reason for the codes and that takes more experience and that's something you learn over time and get feedback on the net from.
453747.png

Generic OBDII codes should be no problem and for that a decent dongle with good software should work on any modern ICE vehicle.

Best bang for the buck - OBDLink LX and their free software.

Not only great for generic OBDII codes but also param monitoring

and emissions readiness checks state to state and by car age.

The only caveat with generic OBDII is that many manufacturers (including Subaru) have started to make wider use of E-OBDII and the params and brand specific codes there only show up via those Modes (0x22, 0x23, etc) there are non-standard and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Plus to make matters worse, they are typically not exposed, defined or supported by dongles and software.

Subaru has even moved away from their SSM over Kline or SSM over CAN protocols to EOBDII over CAN (Subarus Select Monitor IV and up, Hitachi based cars, typically 2014+).

Sure, you can still get generic OBDII data as mandated by law, but the 'good stuff' and many BIU, ABS, ESC errors and codes will only show up via E-OBDII now... and thus far no aftermarket solution supports that fully... except maybe professional scanners for $$$.

Archived