LegacyGT.com

Advice searching for a new car

So I've been a proud owner of a 97 legacy gt limited sedan for about 3 years now and I've been in the 2nd gen forums for quite some time, learning a lot of things. While I know the ej25d engine quite well having built multiple NA engines, i dont know much about anything newer.

I'm currently selling my car and am for certain upgrading to a 05-09 leggy gt sedan. My budget is about 8k, obviously cheaper being better. Some people talk of the turbo's having issues as well as suspension, me personally I don't mind as I'll just replace it if its bad, but i was also curious what else to watch out for as I dont want to have to be doing any deep internal work on the engine.

I have a couple examples on Craigslist and was wondering any opinions, options are quite limited in my area

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/2005-subaru-legacy-25-gt/6512732198.html

This one i would plan on milking home and replacing the clutch as I find those pretty simple

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-legacy-gt-limited/6513199234.html

This I feel like is a good example but the price is more then the first and I'm unsure what's better

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/2005-subaru-legacy-blown-turbo/6476548781.html

And this one has been up there for a very long time but was curious if the turbo hadn't blown while he was driving maybe it didn't spit metal chunks into the engine? Again not sure though.

Any help is appreciated!

The first one has a rotated set up = more HP.

The second one, is that a dent above the left rear wheel ?

Third one, could be all of $5000 to get it back running well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I’d pass on all three of them.

Anything with a blown turbo or recently replaced turbo could easily mean a new short block in the very near furture.

The first one is has a fair amount of mods, FMIC and a Garrett turbo but yet lists that it needs to be dynoed. It just doesn’t seem like it was built correctly.

I’d look through the classifieds here and try and buy a documented car. It’s the only way I’d ever buy another lgt. Or buy a car with a blown motor and get a fresh build. There’s just too many questionable lgt’s out there and too many stories of people need a full 7k rebuild a few weeks after buying these cars to not buy a well documented car.

I'm partial to wagons, and with age more partial to automatics.

I'd also pass on all three.

For 6k you should be able to get a low 100k mile, rust free, not beat by some kid, relatively well maintained car. Do a compression test. Just expect timing belt service to be due or recently be done, and expect to remove banjo bolt filters. Go Cobb stage 2 with a downpipe and drive it into the ground with regular maintenance and oil monitoring.

I'd rather buy stock and build it (more expensive) rather than buy a poorly built or documented one.

I'm partial to wagons, and with age more partial to automatics.

I'd also pass on all three.

For 6k you should be able to get a low 100k mile, rust free, not beat by some kid, relatively well maintained car. Do a compression test. Just expect timing belt service to be due or recently be done, and expect to remove banjo bolt filters. Go Cobb stage 2 with a downpipe and drive it into the ground with regular maintenance and oil monitoring.

I'd rather buy stock and build it (more expensive) rather than buy a poorly built or documented one.

Have you checked out the new Buick regal turbo wagon ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah the first one has a good bit of mods but i kind of agree with wasted potential. I'd rather buy a stock well maintained LGT that I can build as my own, given its nearly impossible to find. Those are the only 3 currently on Craigslist. But yes if a kid has owned it chances are they've driven the thing into the ground and I don't want that, but then my buddy brought up that generally if you mod a car you care about it which is semi true I guess.

Anyways I'm open to searching anywhere for a good, well maintained and untouched legacy gt. Obvioudly I'd love a spec b but that might exceed my price range. I've never purchased anything from these forums so how would I locate the classified? I'm using mobile

Archived