LegacyGT.com

How much to flush the brake fluid?(No...NOT at the dealer!)

What's the going rate for this fluid change? I really don't want to do it myself (It's cold outside and I don't have a place inside.) so I'm going to have to have someone do it for me this time around. I'm a few hundred past the 30K mark, so I can't wait for it to warm up outside. Thanks!

Mavis tire was charging me $79.99 for a full and complete flush, and I watched them do it to make sure it was complete and they drained/bled each wheel.

You are basically using 2 techs for 45 mins or longer, to pull all for 4 wheels off, etc.

Of course, I made sure the tire rotation was included with that, as the wheels were off anyway. :)

The brake fluid in my 91 Prelude lasted for years and years and stayed clean and clear for over 10 years.

My 2013 Legacy fluid seems to get dark by the 2nd year. I've flushed it 2-3 times already in 90K miles and 6 years.

Maybe I'm being crazy but it's cheap insurance for a car that I intend to keep for a loooong time.

Thanks all! I firmly believe that 30K is way too soon to worry about changing the brake fluid. Besides, the most common reason for brake fluid contamination is moisture and how would that be a product of miles driven instead of time? I think it's silly to base a brake fluid flush on mileage instead of time. However, just to keep the warranty requirements on par with the factory schedule, I'll do the 30K flush that's required. Even if I do think it's about 2 years premature.

"Did you test the brake fluid to see if it has gone bad?"... No, I'm one hundred percent certain it isn't bad yet. But, the service schedule says it needs to be changed at 30K, it's still under warranty, so I'm not about to give them anything that they could throw back in my face if I had a warranty claim.

Archived