LegacyGT.com

Extended Warranty

So I got a letter from Subaru today about Extended Warranty. The prices they offered was:

6 years / 60,000 miles - $550

6 years / 80,000 miles - $1070

6 years / 100,000 miles - $1500

I only drive about 10k miles a year so option 1 seems good enough for me. What do you guys think? I'm not aware of any problems that subaru has had in the past. Should I go for it?

i think you wouldve gotten a better deal if you got the extended warrenty when you purchased your car

my GM car (which i traded in for the LGT) the extended warrenty was bought after the car, and there were some difficulties with the dealer afterwards... that maybe jus GM, im not sure about the Subarus

but if your planning to keep it that long then go ahead, get what fits you

the extended warranty only covers powertrain etc ...right?? doesnt cover you for things like one flat tire (read: replace all four at ur expense) or creak in the doors, or wind noise from driver side window or airbag light coming on due to dirty underseat connector ($100 to clean)

so i say...save ur money and use it towards ur new car when u trade ur subie in ...in 3 years or so

but if u insist go with the 1st of the 3 options.....less money out of pocket is better.

Oh also dont forget at around 30K, then at 60K and then at 90K you will have some expensive servicing that will needed to be done on ur car.

Maybe someone on the inside can give u a better idea on those prices are but i would think $500-$900 each service....thats gonna hurt the check book a bit too!!

the extended warranty only covers powertrain etc ...right?? doesnt cover you for things like one flat tire (read: replace all four at ur expense) or creak in the doors, or wind noise from driver side window or airbag light coming on due to dirty underseat connector ($100 to clean)

so i say...save ur money and use it towards ur new car when u trade ur subie in ...in 3 years or so

but if u insist go with the 1st of the 3 options.....less money out of pocket is better.

Oh also dont forget at around 30K, then at 60K and then at 90K you will have some expensive servicing that will needed to be done on ur car.

Maybe someone on the inside can give u a better idea on those prices are but i would think $500-$900 each service....thats gonna hurt the check book a bit too!!

What kind of expensive servicing are you talking about??!??

I got the 7 yr, 100,000 mile warranty for free when I purchased my LGT. I usually don't even bother with extended warranties, but this car is so performance heavy over anything else I have owned, I thought it might be a good investment. Plus, it's a Subaru warranty, not a third party, which made me feel more comfortable. :icon_smil

Oh, and it was a $1,000.00 value according to the dealership.

• 2 months later...

To quote the mechanic in the local Subaru shop:

"the turbo motors are pretty well bullet-proof, and I've only seen kids with too much money blow up trannies, so your pretty well set"

refering to the potential for repairs on the powertrain.

Statistically, anything can happen, but extended warranties are more piece of mind than anyhting else - I know, I sell them (not on Subes)

If you value peice of mind, then go for it, and as previously stated, powertrain mods are certainly void-the-warranty material if you have an internal engine or trans failure.

If that's the case, take the money and put it in a "just in case" kind of fund.

When my dealer was trying to get me to buy an extended warranty with the car, he admitted that you can buy it at any time during your ownership...including the day which the standard warranty expires. I'm planning on waiting till then, too see if I actually plan on having the car for another three years before I drop the cash for another three years of coverage.

you can buy it at any time during your ownership...including the day which the standard warranty expires. I'm

Yes, but the longer you wait, the more expensive it will be. They tend to raise the prices each year.

However - not to say you must buy it. As Windex mentions, it's moslty piece of mind. They may pay for themselves, they may not. Last car I had had a $2k tranny replacement plus a bunch of other not so big stuff done under an extended warranty and it paid for itself. Car before that (didn't have it anyway on that one ;) would not have.

I'm probably going to pass myself. As was mentioned, the suby engine/tranny is pretty bullet proof, especially since I'm not doing much, if any realy hp mods. Also, if the 'expensive' servicing means the plugs, I can't see them being that difficult to do. Done it on many cars so far - just have to find them on this one first ;)

When my dealer was trying to get me to buy an extended warranty with the car, he admitted that you can buy it at any time during your ownership...including the day which the standard warranty expires. I'm planning on waiting till then, too see if I actually plan on having the car for another three years before I drop the cash for another three years of coverage.

you can get some versions of the ext. warranty before your existing warranty expires, but you can only get the zero deductible version if purchased at time of sale

additionally, you can receive a pro-rated refund for whatever portion of the ext. warranty you don't use if you sell or trade the car before then, so its not necessarily money down the drain if you decide not to keep the car

• 2 weeks later...
I am thanking god I got the 5 year 100k on my baja. It was just riddled with probelms and once 36k went and left I would have been left with the issues and no rental car. The extended isn't just power train. Get the brucure from the dealer. It shows you what is and isn't covered and it does go beyond the powertrain. Also, if you trade in the car before the warrnaty expires, SOA will cut you a check for the remainder fo the warrnaty.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I can't imagine how an extended warranty makes sense with a modded car. The purpose of the warranty is to take care of a big repair, most likely to the drivetrain. Guess what happens when try and collect. Its hard enough to collect on extended warranties when you are in the right, let alone when they have an excuse.

Will mods such as UP, DP, TBE violate extended warranty terms?

Depends on the dealer. My dealer knows all the mods I have and they actually like it when people mod their cars (their yearly customer appreciation day is held at an IHRA dragway :icon_bigg ). Their advice is to keep all the stock parts and if you have a problem to put them back on the car before you bring it in. They don't guarantee it will be covered, but they will work with you. Depends on the dammage and the claim. You need to remember, it's the dealer that makes the claim to SOA and does the repair work.

Oh yeah, I did an extended warranty once as the dealer promassed to return the principle amount back to me if I did not use it. I didn't and they actually lived up to the deal. I needed to produce the form 6 years later (I'm sure they were hoping I lost it :icon_tong ), but they gave me my money back.

Bottom line is that it's a gamble. The prices for the warranties are set by the manufacturer figuring what the average cost of repair will be (over thousands of cars, mind you) and then upping that price for their profit. The odds are certainly that you will not need the coverage. The main reason for the warranty is piece of mind. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about that, and piece of mind can be worth a LOT of money to a person. Personally, I got the brochure just a couple days ago, but I'll wait a while till I decide. Last car I had it paid for itself, one before it didn't...

btw - don't forget that the price is NOT set in stone. It can be haggled just like the car can. Most people don't realize that :)

Archived