LegacyGT.com

Can't fill more than half a gallon of gas before clicking off

As the title says, in my 2006 LGT, I can't get more than about 0.5 gallons of gas in the tank before the pump shuts off, like the gas tank is full. I give it 10 or 15 seconds, and then I can put another .5 gallons of gas in. Repeat numerous times until I have added enough gas that the tank is probably about full.

Needless to say, this is very annoying. I can hear the gas going down/air coming out after the pump clicks off from around the gas filler hole.

I have tried disconnecting the lines that go to the EVAP charcoal canister, and still no joy. The charcoal canister did not appear to be full of liquid gasoline when I was removing the hoses to it.

From what I can gather, there should be a 'vent valve' someplace... ? Is that so, and where is it located? Is it possible to access without dropping the gas tank?

Anyone else experience this problem, and if so, what was the fix?

Thanks

I've looked around, and a handful of outback owners reported the same problem, mostly it was 'me too!' posts. One guy pressurized his gas tank in an attempt to clear what he assumed was a blockage in the vent valve, and that seemed to work for a while, but the issue came back. I think he ended up having his gas tank replaced, as he had deformed it by applying too much pressure.

Outback owners seem to be less 'hands on' what LGT owners, so I figured I'd ask here.

Vent valve itself seems to be fairly inaccessible, somewhere on the top of the gas tank, according to my chilton book.

Years ago I had the same issue on my Nissan and Forester XT. The charcoal canister has a little solenoid vent, it's supposed to open close as you drive or as you fill up. What happens is, the solenoid gets stuck closed, causing the fuel tank to get over pressurized and the gas pump thinks the tank is full.

Start by searching and testing everything in the evap canister area (it's behind the right rear wheel I believe). Once you get to the canister plug the two green test connectors under the passenger seat (reflash connectors), and turn the key to ON but don't start it, this will put the car into test mode and cycle all solenoids, then listen/watch for the clicks. That's how I found that my forster one was stuck.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Years ago I had the same issue on my Nissan and Forester XT. The charcoal canister has a little solenoid vent, it's supposed to open close as you drive or as you fill up. What happens is, the solenoid gets stuck closed, causing the fuel tank to get over pressurized and the gas pump thinks the tank is full.

Start by searching and testing everything in the evap canister area (it's behind the right rear wheel I believe). Once you get to the canister plug the two green test connectors under the passenger seat (reflash connectors), and turn the key to ON but don't start it, this will put the car into test mode and cycle all solenoids, then listen/watch for the clicks. That's how I found that my forster one was stuck.

Ahh... test mode cycles solenoids. Forgot about that. Maybe I never knew that... I think the subaru shops have a computer that can do those sorts of things too, but I'm not a subaru shop.

Good idea, thank you.

I'm also going to try to figure out where the vent valve actually vents to & check that hose, blow it out with a compressor. Neither my chilton manual or the FSM is very useful for that sort of thing.

For 05/06 LGT FSM has all the stuff you need. Engine -> H4DOTC -> Emission Control -> Canister & Pressure Control Solenoid Valve.

It could be a clogged hose, but I bet it's the valve that's stuck.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 3 years later...

Found this link searching google. The page numbers in the 2005 service manual are 5361, etc. for the turbo cars, 5338 to 5357 for NA cars

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here