LegacyGT.com

Bluetooth Hands free on P-206UHB, Harman Kardon

nevets27

Did some research, due to your for sale thread.

GROM, assuming iSimple is the same, which is a big assumption but they have a lot less documentation from what I can find.

1. Must disconnect External mounted CD changer (Retains Built-in CD Player/Changer)

2. Steering Wheel Track Control if equipped (SAT emulation firmware does not support steering wheel controls)

3. Retain Factory XM Satellite radio (with CDC emulation firmware)

4. Supports Text (Requires SAT/MD emulation firmware, excludes AUX1)

Assuming the iSimple is the same. It looks like the reason you can't daisy chain them they are emulating sat radio and it seems like you can't have 2 sat radios. Assuming they identified themselves as something else they may have worked with the sat radio. Would like confirmation if factory sat radio and iSimpe or GROM won't work together though.

And according to that steering wheel controls won't work. Of course there is still the joycon and arduino options.

Also looks like if you have the bluetooth connected for audio only controls it wouldn't work as the GROM will mute the analog line in. Might be able to force audio over the headphone jack with an audio routing app (I have to find it again)

If you use GROM-BT3 with an aux audio player via GROM auxiliary cable, the GROM-BT3 will stop and mute

the audio player connected via AUX cable.

The GROM is pretty slick on it's input switching and button routing. 100% pleased with how it does things, just with it supported two Bluetooth modules. I'm solving that by adding a second media only BT module on the GROM's Aux2 input.

From what I can tell, there are multiple device types supported on the SIE-bus, but there is a limit to the number of each of them. For instance there is a max of three "Sat" devices. That's why the you cant chain the GROM and iSimple, they are using the same device ID. But if you have the GROM cd changer emulation firmware you can because they are different device ID.

See how it works with the media hub + sat receiver:

sat_media.JPG.7c200a276ba832c6cb4e94ae43db37ab.JPG

I'll have to ask GROM if the cd emulation firmware can be flashed onto a sat version. Or if a CD emulation is available for this radio.

EDIT:

Found the answer I think in the FAQ

CDC is CD Changer emulation. GROM Car Audio Kit emulates CD Changer, and you will use regular CD changer controls to change tracks/disks, control iPod/iPhone/iPad. CDC emulation is available for all GROM compatible cars.

SAT (or XM) stands for Satellite /XM radio emulation. Usually available for cars within United States. If you connected iPod/iPhone/iPad with GROM compatible iPod cable for play, charge and control, you will use Satellite/ XM controls to control your device. Text will be displayed on SAT emulation compatible stereos. Stereo should be SAT/XM capable, but XM/SAT receiver has to be disconnected.

Please check product listing for more detailed information.

And evidence that someone has actually done it here.

If that provides the same functionality that would be an ideal setup to keep the sat radio.

Reading through the documentation it does sound like it does integrate well with the OEM HU controls. But hearing that you're happy with it is a much better real world endorsement.

OK, I'll have to admit I've tried to understand what you are using the second bluetooth module for. I know you said you are using it for media only but then what are you using the GROM bluetooth for?

I'm interested how this all plays out the way you're doing it. It seems like the GROM integrates much better overall and don't need a separate remote for phone functions like the parrot. Though after seeing a steering wheel with phone functions installed into our generation legacy it would be nice to find a way to utilize them.

The only real negative I can see with the GROM is having switch to the sat input to make/recieve calls. Can I assume the only way you know you are getting a call is on the phone itself? I would prefer some sort of prompt, tablet talk kind of works for that be its really unfortunate it does answer or reject calls like it should.

I was thinking that with either the way you are doing it with the GROM or how my current setup is, just using an audio switch for nav.

So the nexus out goes to an audio switch, which will switch between the GROM/AUX and the nav input. If we can get a trigger out of the bus port (I'm thinking that it it might only send power when on that input) we could use that to switch the audio switch.

So nexus audio always is going to nav input (with no audio other then nav usually). Then when sat/grom input is selected it would route the audio to the grom and therefore not mute the speakers as there is now no audio going to the nav input. Of course this would need a vox and possibly an amp for the nav input. But thst doesn't seem like a big issue.

I'm going to wire up the speaker level output of the parrot to the nav in today. Hopefully it doesn't blow anything up. Do you see an issue with doing that? I plan to hook up my meter (it can actually do rms) and see the max level I can set the volume and not go past that but I can't insure any spikes in volume/voltage from my phone during a call so there is some points where it is likely to jump above 1.2v.

OK, I'll have to admit I've tried to understand what you are using the second bluetooth module for. I know you said you are using it for media only but then what are you using the GROM bluetooth for?

My/Friends/GF's phones for playing music in the car and it's not in the dock. the LTE is freaking out on my tablet so it may not end up being the main music player. :spin:

Nexus is on the GROM bluetooth so navigation always wins over music playing via USB or the secondary Bluetooth.

Ah ok yeah that all makes sense now.

Tried speaker level into the HU, it didn't like that. So the only obvious solution to making the parrot work is an amp I guess.

I think I'm going to have to give in and accept defeat. I actually went back and re-read the beginning of this thread and you right off the bat, suggested the GROM. It looks like its the best option. So I'm going to look into the possibility of using it with the sat radio, though I'm also starting to care less about it also. I get the feeling I'll never use it.

Now it would be nice to still get nav prompts and of course would still like a bit more automation for phone calls. But it seems like it would/will be easier to play with audio routing via switches and hacking inputs via the HU or the GROM.

So at least I/we know the nav input works and can be utilized. So the next thing would be figuring how to hijack the audio selector chip. And it would be nice to figure out the bus communication. With those two and an arduino I'm guessing it would be possible to say hook up a steering wheel with answer, reject and voice dial buttons. So say you want to answer an incoming call, have the arduino switch the input via the audio selector chip then send the pressing of preset 1 over the bus to the GROM to answer the call.

Archived