LegacyGT.com

OEM (Ford) LED Fog Lights

So I have my OEM Ford Mustang LED Fogs in hand, and I ordered the clear film kit for the 2015 Mustang, right from Lamin-x. (they didn't list the 2013 or 2014 Legacy and I figured I couldn't go wrong with ordering the film for the exact Ford lenses....)

It arrived today and to my disappointment, the films are too small in diameter.

Even with the Subaru trim/bezel in front, there is a decent gap where the film doesn't cover.

I called Laminx and a real person answered on the 2nd ring.

He explained that the film is meant to be installed "on the car" and NOT " by removing any trim and/or the light fixture" and that "the outer trim/bezel" should cover the film.

Since I don't have a Ford Mustang Fog light trim/bezel handy, I googled it and looked at some photos of the OEM light on the Mustang. Hard to tell if the Ford trim covers more of the lens.

The man on the phone said to email them some photos showing the issue, so I did.

(I didn't tell him that I was putting this on a Subaru Legacy as this would instantly disqualify me for anything)

and this is what I wrote:

I ordered clear Fog light film for the 2015 Ford Mustang.

I have brand new OEM Ford Mustang Fog lights, right from the dealer.

My expectation for the film is protection from pitting and road debris.

Unfortunately the laminx film does not cover the entire lens. See attached.

The film is about 2 7/8” in diameter but the lens is 3 ½ -3 ¾ edge to edge(bezel on the plastic).

In my opinion, the ideal diameter for this lens would be about the full width of the film with the tabs on it, which is 3 ¾ “

This is for full protection of the lens, but there is also a gap between the plastic trim bezel and the lens.

Upon reading the instruction card, I read that “your fog light film cover kit has been designed to install with the trim bezel in place”

Unfortunately this is not posted on your website under description, and the installation tab is BLANK.

Had I known that this didn’t offer FULL lens protection, I would have inquired about a custom diameter or sheet of film to cut myself.

Can you please send me qty (2) replacement clear films that are the full 3 ¾” diameter circle, plus tabs?

************ end of email

So my hope is that they are willing to cut me 1) the bigger diameter circles or 2) send me a sheet of clear film and I can cut myself.

Worst case is they fight with me and make me buy 2 new circles for another $14...

It's not just the money but the lost time, as I am anxious to get these installed!

Laminx fit issues to upload5.pdf

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GTeaser

I took another look at your photos and yes, I do see the film and tabs and how it doesn't fully cover the lens.

It's interesting why Laminx does it this way. My only guess is to make it faster & easier for people to install on their car without removing any trim.

Of course, the trim on my Legacy takes about 20-30 seconds to pop out, and that was even the first time, having never removed it before. But some cars might be much harder to remove.

Driving in the NE, with the amount of sand and debris on the roads, you can see how pitted my OEM lens is on a 2013 car. So for me, if it's worth adding the Laminx, it's worth adding it over the entire lens.

I've also seen a few youtube videos where the film on fog lights started to peel and collect dirt and debris around the edges after only 1 year.

If Laminx doesn't offer me a replacement set, I'll have to shell out another $14.95 plus shipping to order the "custom" set of circle films for the 3.75" size that I need.

I just wanted to share with this group in case anyone else is looking to do the same thing.

UPDATE:

I emailed Lamin-x the photos and description.... and waited.... and waited....

Finally I called and asked if they received my email. Oh, there it is. I didn't see it until now...

They agreed that the film does not fully cover the lens, as they are designed to be installed ON the car without removing any trim. (I'm guessing the Mustang trim may cover more of the lens, similar to how the 2010-2012 trim seems to cover more, and the 2013-13 Legacy trim is a larger diameter, allowing more of the lens to be shown.

I said it would be beneficial if this was called out in the description and/or the installation tab, so people would know what they are getting and could opt for FULL lens protection with a larger film. He agreed.

And then he agreed to send me out 3.75" films at no charge. He was very nice about it.

So now I'm waiting for them to arrive. I'll take some photos of the install. Hopefully I didn't go too big with the film, so that it will take a nice shape on the bevel of the lens. I can always trim if I need to.

Those are what most of us already have, just standard fog lights with standard incandescent bulbs. Not LED like the ones in the OP.

I just did the Ford OEM LED fog install on my 2013. Piece of cake. They pull out on an angle through their mounting hole (carefully).

I took photos and can post if anyone wants to see. The only difference is the 2013 has the larger surround/trim so you see more of the lens.

I'm glad I got the 3.75" diameter film from Laminx - the stock Suabru fogs have are heavily pitted and have a clear line around the outer 5% where the lens was blocked by the trim, and the lens is still clear, compared to the heavy pitting on the rest of the lens!

So the new 3.75" Laminx film that I have wrapped around the bezel of the lens will be perfect and fully cover the exposed lens (which is about 95% of the open surface area)

Initial impression in my garage.... NICE!

I was used to the Subaru fogs giving a FLOOD light appearance as they were large. The Ford LED's are only centered in the inner 50-60% of the lens - the rest is just blacked out.

The IMPORTANT test will be night driving and hopefully improved visibility, which is honestly why I got them.

Hopefully I don't have to play with aiming them, but we'll see.

Thanks to everyone here for their input!

I set the Ford Fogs on my work bench and every day I look at them and say soon boys...soon.. I have not seen my car since Jan 30th...
Haha me too. Mine are sitting on my work bench as well. I was waiting to see how Cap's laminx turned out before I ordered.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Have you done any night driving with them yet?
I've done some night driving with them, and on the rain at night. They are for sure better than our OEM fogs, but no amazing epiphany like a set of Baja Design Squadrons would be.

Yes, I have, and ironically we had some heavy fog for a few days here, right after I installed them.

as GTEASER said, it's not like instant daylight from some monster LED off road flood lights.

I feel like the Subaru OEM fogs gave more of a FLOOD, whereas these FORD LED Fogs have a very sharp and defined cutoff below the headlights, bbut honestly, that's what they are designed to do, and supposed to do.

My understanding of fog lights are to actually throw light low and wide, onto the ROAD head, so that you can see the road and painted reflective lines on the road, to safely see and drive in FOG.

Fogs lights aren't meant to be FLOOD lights that throw a ton of light at everything in front of you, including blinding the drivers in front of you, or other drivers in the other direction.

What's amazing to me is how far to the SIDES these fogs throw the light, and very bright. Easily 20-30' to the left and right of my car, there is bright white light!

I don't recall every having that with the stock fogs.

What probably helps this with the 2013 fog trim bezel, is that they cut out to the sides so the light isn't just thrown forward, it kicks out to the sides, which is awesome.

The 2010-2012 Legacy fogs/trim are much more covered and appear to be more forward-facing and may not let out as much light to the sides.

Overall, in summary, I am VERY pleased, and thank everyone on this thread for their input, especially GTEASER.