LegacyGT.com

What's better 2.5i or 3.6R ? ?

CTUSA

Hello

First time on the Forum. Looking for some feedback.

I am interested in purchasing a used 2015 Legacy or newer model. With this type of equipment auto, sunroof and fog lights.

I drove a 2015 with the 2.5 it seemed pretty quick, very responsive in steering.

I have not driven a 3.6 one yet. They seem a little hard to find used in CT.

Which engine is better ? ? I think both of them have timing chains in them. Motor Trend say's that 3.6 is a little bit faster. But not worth the extra money. What about the CVT ? Can these cars make over 200k ?

I tend to keep my cars for a very long time a my daily driver 2000 Nissan Maxima 232k. I due most of all the work myself. The only reason I'm looking for another car is that someone hit me & the insurance is going to total it.

Thanks

Search the gigabyte of threads on 2.5 vs 3.6 rock throwing, swearing and my daddy is bigger than your daddy posts. [emoji6]

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Both have great benefits as you'll find on the forums. Try the search tool.

The 3.6 has a significant increase in power, but at the cost of fuel.

The 2.5 has the new engine (FB Series) that is a breeze with maintenance (top-mount oil filter).

Both are solid, the Legacy is a little lighter than the Outback. If you truly like the idea of a 3.6, you should start looking now as it's generally accepted that they're (Subaru) going to discontinue production of the 3.6 (a naturally aspirated 6-cylinder boxer engine) for a turbo 4 (4 cylinder boxer-engine with turbocharger).

The new (2016 and newer) CVT's have different tuning and slightly different mechanics (shorter pitch, etc.) compared to the "originals" from 2010-2015. They've made some improvements. So, I'd say while the original CVT's had some growing pains, the newer ones should build on the success of the original ones.

I'm happy with my 3.6r. Coming from a Mazdasped6, WRX, and several V8 cars it does ok. It's no barn burner in stock form, but it will move. Look for a low mile 14' 3.6r and avoid all CVT headaches as it's the last year of the 5eat. Despite what other have said, mine it actually the most responsive stock automatic I've driven. I wouldn't want the 2.5 unless is was a manual car.

Better for what?

My girlfriend has a 2016 3.6R. I think it has enough power, but it's not what I would call "responsive".

It also gets about the same (or worse?) economy as my '05 LGT. With the benefit being that at least she gets to pump regular gas.

I think that might be based off the tuning. It seems like even if you hammer on the throttle, it tends to keep around 2k-3k unless you're basically WOT'ing it. I've found much better acceleration when I need a little zoom zoom - even in my 2.5 -- using the paddles in Manual Mode and shifting around 4k or adjusting my throttle as needed to keep myself between 3k-4k.

Totally agree. We live in Colorado and both like to go to the mountains. That's why she went with the 3.6 over the 2.5, so she could drive up the steeper grades without feeling like she was wringing every ounce out of the car. And in that regard, it's perfect for that, and doesn't have a problem with passing. But it also doesn't feel as punchy as the LGT. But regardless, it's apples and oranges, as the LGT has FI, verses the NA 3.6, the LGT has a manual transmission and 5th gear is SHORT for normal highway cruising, but suddenly puts the LGT in the prime torque range when you hit a hill at 65, and the CVT is set up to deliver things a little more smoothly.

Really, I think both are good, just set up for different overall purposes.

Archived