LegacyGT.com

So you are looking at a used transmission. Now What?

RustyRuu

so it's time, my 230k tranny is too crunchy and is missing gears and I don't care to take it another 10k or so like this.

i understand final drives and how to match them but if you are going to look at a new trans what do you look at?

how do you test for play in the input shaft?

acceptable play before the rest of the gears begin to spin while spinning the input shaft?

I plan to get it from a place called the subie recycler that part out wrecked cars they only sell transmissions that successfully rowed through the gears in there parking lot.

they only have really like 02+ turbocharged and newer model part outs, so trannys wont be completely compatible electronically (i.e. speed sensor) but they are the lowest mileage, most available trans around, 00 to 04's legacys are hard to look for. used trans are around $350 or so from this place.

just looking for some tips and tricks at picking up a used trans successfully.

yes, thank you. that is a great site but then what should you look for when you show up to buy one? play between the input shaft or movement in the gear selector, stuff like that? i kind of hate the stick it in and hope for the best approach, so am just curious if there is anything you can try to feel for or measure before purchasing a used trans.

There's not a whole you can tell without opening it up.

The shifter rod should move, I guess you would feel the notches.

May some tranny expert will have more info...but, around here now day's...that's hard to find.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On a 02 Legacy that's a 4.11 FD gearbox, if you are in the salvaged market look for the grade of the part salvage shops usually grade them based on miles and last known condition BUT there is no universal grading criteria they use. You could find a whole salvaged 5MT 01-04 LGT with low miles but again you cant tell if it was taken of care of any more than a gearbox on the shelf with a "A" grade.

You could have yours or a cheap salvage unit rebuilt or look for a rebuilt one also. Less down time and some type of warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

so I found used tranny its my exact ID number and at $550 for it i am not getting a steal by any means 104k miles.

is it possible for a input shaft to leak to the inside of the bell housing? i think that seal has finally gone the other day i have gear oil spots under my car and all over the top of my steering rack but not on top of my crossmember and is definitely gear oil.

if i intend to use my clutch again i have a 20k mile clutch disk on a shelf (warrentied a clutch kit from exedy, i have couple extra bits), would just blasting the gear oil off the other parts be ok to use agian?

maybe this should be renamed to " just bought a used trans, now what?"

planning on new exhaust seals, axle and output shaft seals on transmission, tanny and subframe bushings were replaced with Kartboy and group N 40k ago.

just trying to think if i'm missing anything important.

maybe this should be renamed to " just bought a used trans, now what?"

planning on new exhaust seals, axle and output shaft seals on transmission, tanny and subframe bushings were replaced with Kartboy and group N 40k ago.

just trying to think if i'm missing anything important.

Motul Gear 300, 5 qt's. 3.9 in the tranny, .8 in the rear diff. Remember to fill the tranny slowly or it will come back out the fill tube.

Make sure you get all the old fluid out. For those who don't know, you don't get all the out fluid out with the tranny in the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived