LegacyGT.com

Who here has body side moldings?

• 4 months later...

6 months in for my first oil change and the accumulated little annoyances not worth a service trip on their own.

Drivers door body molding is loose and flapping around. They can't retape and have to order a new body molding part. Wish they had done that when I stopped in and made the appt describing things to be looked at so I didn't have to go back for another appt.

This was dealer installed so maybe they just didnt prep clean that door correctly. They checked and said the others were good.

This was dealer installed so maybe they just didnt prep clean that door correctly. They checked and said the others were good.

Prep is EVERYTHING which is why I like to install mine myself. I use alcohol to clean the area and then use an adhesion promoter before applying the molding to the surface. That's the correct way to do it.

Prep is EVERYTHING which is why I like to install mine myself. I use alcohol to clean the area and then use an adhesion promoter before applying the molding to the surface. That's the correct way to do it.

I got mine with the initial purchase ... the dealer used a laser set up to make sure the moldings were straight.

I got mine with the initial purchase ... the dealer used a laser set up to make sure the moldings were straight.

That's great but not sure what using a laser to install your molding has anything to do with the prep done to install it:confused: You can have perfectly "straight" molding and they could fall off in 4 weeks if the paint is not prepped properly:eek:

That's great but not sure what using a laser to install your molding has anything to do with the prep done to install it:confused: You can have perfectly "straight" molding and they could fall off in 4 weeks if the paint is not prepped properly:eek:

I understand that ....... I was just merely commenting on the way mine was actually applied ... hopefully they prepped it properly as well ... and since it has been well over 4 weeks it looks like they did :)

I understand that ....... I was just merely commenting on the way mine was actually applied ... hopefully they prepped it properly as well ... and since it has been well over 4 weeks it looks like they did :)

Not sure what the dealer used to align mine but the driver door molding started coming loose around 4 months. The new part is in so hope they do a better installation job this time.

Alignment is very important and, typically, all manufacturers BSM comes with a template anyway so that any moron in the service department can put them on correctly. The key is the preparation of the paint before "sticking" it on the car. The correct way, as I said above, is to alcohol prep the area, put 3M adhesion promoter on the area where the molding will be adhered and then adhere the molding. I have done like 10+ of these over the years in my driveway as I know I'll do a far better job than the grease monkey at the dealership.

Archived