LegacyGT.com

Brand new clutch slipping?

Goosehands

About a month ago I got my OBXT back after having an IAG Stage 1 block professionally installed. While everything was out I had a SMFW and Exedy OEM clutch kit installed since the DMFW was warped.

I made it through the break in period babying her and I was finally given the OK to "give it some" by my mechanic. He is a really knowledgeable guy and has a good reputation for turbo cars (mainly GTRs but also subies).

Fast forward about 1000 miles, in 5th gear around 3.8k on the highway I get up to 12psi and the rpms jump up to 4500 and the car goes nowhere. The clutch felt great all through the break in, a little light at first but felt great after about 400 miles or so. Grabbed nicely, nice friction point etc... I dont ride the clutch and I obviously wasn't beating on it since I was in the midst of my engine break in.

Clutch pedal had little free play so I adjusted it a touch and also tested my master cylinder by clamping the line, clutch was rock hard. I may replace the hydraulic fluid anyway for good measure...

I am running a vf39, not sure on the exact hp/tq numbers as it is still on the same tune that I bought it with but I was told that it was tuned to around 275hp. Who really knows though...

What else is there to try? Could this be a slave cylinder issue or am I looking at an aftermarket clutch? This issue has happened twice now, could I have glazed my clutch that quickly?

I am almost positive that there was a stock clutch in there which seemed fine before... I plan to call my mechanic tomorrow but I am afraid of hearing any more bad news.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply, I actually ended up having to deal with some unrelated clutch issues (junk in my hydraulic lines) so I have not had the chance to talk to my mechanic.

Glad to hear the stage 1 worked out for you... Unfortunately I went the budget route and got the "OEM" replacement. I'm wondering what the difference is between the two, if it's possible to just replaced the OEM springs with stage 1 springs instead buying the whole kit?

OEM, is not the clutch I would have picked for your set up.

I have had good luck with Spec Clutch's there 2+ is a nice piece.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was finally given the OK to "give it some" by my mechanic. He is a really knowledgeable guy and has a good reputation for turbo cars (mainly GTRs but also subies).

I am running a vf39, not sure on the exact hp/tq numbers as it is still on the same tune that I bought it with but I was told that it was tuned to around 275hp. Who really knows though...

Your mechanic should have advise you a stronger clutch since your power level is higher then stock. When buying a clutch, first thing to check is the clutch holding capacity (hp/tq) vs car power level.

Sorry to say this but you will need a stronger clutch if you want to use your car to its full potential.

FWIW, I run a southbend stg2 endurance with OEM SMFW on my OBXT with a vf48 (newer version of the vf39) with great results. They ain't cheap tho...

Archived