LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on this OBXT?

missoula

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and have been lurking for a few days. I have however been lurking craigslist, for sale ads, etc. for a clean 5spd OBXT. Basically the perfect car for where I live, here in Montana. This one has happened to pop up, with a clean and relatively thorough detailed car fax.

https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-subaru-turbo-outback/6444486523.html

00g0g_ktzlU8OOoef_1200x900.jpg

I've been looking extensively into the things to look for when searching for one of these cars, banjo bolt, catted uppipe, strict maintenance, etc.

The carafe shows that this OBXT lived in vermont most of its life, and was serviced by the subaru dealership for the first 103k miles of its life. 30k, 60k services were done. and at 100k the timing belt and tensioner were replaced. water pump was not specified.

My questions are:

What do you guys think of the car?

Things you would ask the owner about this one specifically?

Does the water pump fall under the 60k maintenance?

Thanks all!

Hmm, GRP OBXT. The best color for the wagon on stilts!

Vermont/Montana car - probably saw tons of salt. Check the rear quarter panels.

Water pump is done typically with timing belt.

Interesting that new clutch was installed recently and car goes for sale. I'd be suspicious as to why. Could it be that owner did WOT with new clutch and turbo went kaput?

Otherwise looks like lots of things were taken care of. Definetily one of few remaining unicorns.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Interesting that new clutch was installed recently and car goes for sale. I'd be suspicious as to why. Could it be that owner did WOT with new clutch and turbo went kaput?

Otherwise looks like lots of things were taken care of. Definetily one of few remaining unicorns.

I think owner 4 is flipping it. Probably bought it cheap at auction (owner 3 - auction house), did a little work and turning it.

I think owner 4 is flipping it. Probably bought it cheap at auction (owner 3 - auction house), did a little work and turning it.

Been talking to the owner a bunch. It is exactly what he is doing, has 3-4 other subies next in line to work on. Looks like I am doing a 10 hour round trip road trip this weekend to go pick it up! fingers crossed!

So I think I have the record for the shortest time of owning an outback xt before the turbo blew. Test drove it, everything felt good, sounded good, turbo made no smoke, no noises. No oil leaks, or any odd business. Give the owner cash, I sign the title, and drive away. Alls good for about 30 miles, cruising at highway speed, when the turbo starts making an odd suction sound (almost like the noise if you put your hand over a vacuum ). Then in about 30 seconds, loud metallic rattle noise that you can instantly tell is turbo related. I’ve read enough on here to shut the car down immediately, before any damage to the engine. By this time too, I’m far enough out in the middle of nowhere that I have no cell service. Luckily my ride over to pick up the car was still driving with me to come pick me up, drive me to closest town. And call the previous owner. The guy came out, agreed with me the turbo was blown, and was very professional about it. I could have gotten all my money back, except I had made the mistake of already signing the title. So he gave me all but $500 back, he was going to have the car towed back to his shop. I now get to put the title in my name, and think about what I want to do. I can wipe my hands clean son as I can give him a notarized title back and get my remaining money. Or wait for him to put in a new turbo, and make the long trip back out to get it. So we shall see!

Get your money back and run, unless you want to risk having to replace the motor and the price is dropped accordingly. (I am guess the flipper isn't going to like the real value of his OBXT with a questionable, when he bought the car to turn a profit)

You definitely aren't the 1st person to have a turbo blow on the way home from a purchase. Who knows what the prior owners knew? Maybe its bad luck? maybe the owner who traded it in just replaced the turbo? or knew it made noises when hot?

I'm not sure how it is in other states, but today I learned at the DMV that once you transfer a title, you have to license it as well. Luckily it was only $80, and I should get my new title in a couple weeks. I've got plates for it now good till '19 lol.

Archived