LegacyGT.com

Clutch time, a few questions

08SpecB_DE

Hey guys, I feel like I'm on borrowed time with my clutch so I'm going to start gathering some parts. I'm going all oem sti parts except for return spring and fork (yeah I'm doing those too).

Should I reuse the flywheel bolts or purchase new?

Do I get the legacy or sti bolts and how many will I need?

Can you confirm these are the correct part numbers:

TOB- 30502AA130

PP- 30210AA670

DISC- 30100AA920

FLYWHEEL- 12310AA410

Will there be an alignment tool included with any of these parts or will I need to source one elsewhere?

I understand some aftermarket kits are cheaper and what not but I'm going after quality and longevity. I've weighed the pros and cons, so I feel like o.e. will suit me well. I like the idea of a lwfw but not the increased cabin noise. There's more noise than I prefer with the Group N mounts and bushings so I want to keep noise potential low.

One more thing I'd like to note, for the past couple of years, I get a slight noise from what I'm suspecting to be the input shaft bearing. It's more pronounced on cold start and seems to almost go away once it's warmed up. Could this just be the fluid? I changed it about 40k ago with Mobil 1 synthetic. The noise has not gotten any worse so is there anything that will help reduce the noise if it is in fact the input shaft bearing without tearing it apart?

If you're still reading, thank you. I look forward to your thoughts and opinions.

Have you considered an STI clutch and FW? I agree with not going aftermarket if you don’t have to. I have an ACT HDSS on my 6MT and it’s a pain to drive. Very heavy and unpredictable engagement. If I could do it over, I would have tried the STI clutch. However, I’m over 300 hp/tq with stg 3 and not sure how long stock would hold.

Sorry, can’t confirm the part numbers above.

Have you considered an STI clutch and FW? I agree with not going aftermarket if you don’t have to. I have an ACT HDSS on my 6MT and it’s a pain to drive. Very heavy and unpredictable engagement. If I could do it over, I would have tried the STI clutch. However, I’m over 300 hp/tq with stg 3 and not sure how long stock would hold.

Sorry, can’t confirm the part numbers above.

That's exactly what I'm considering. I've driven some and love the feel of their clutch compared to my real light pedal. I like a firmer pedal and smooth engagement.

270whp/290wtq

It’s a basic vf52 with supporting mods, stock fueling.

The pedal feel with the 6MT Exedy OEM is probably half the effort of what my stock clutch was with the 5MT, which is a good thing. I like having a light pedal, it just makes the car easier to drive in traffic.

The Exedy OEM should be good up to around 350whp.

I would think you would use STI FW bolts with a STI FW. Just makes sense.

I "only" use Motul Gear 300 in my 6mt, now that we can't get the "Extra-S".

Hopefully that may help your noisy bearing...?

Use Gear 300 in the read diff too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived