LegacyGT.com

Power steering issue.

Hi all, I just installed a new power steering pump the brands was a BBB / Vision Oe remanufactured. I have driven it most of today probably 3 or 4 hours worth and it is still squealing and giving me slight tightness especially when turning left. The belt and o-ring is also new, I'm not really sure what's going on, any ideas? I'm at the point where I'm about ready to Chuck this car into the ocean.

The reman in my wagon has been fine for few years now. Sorry I don't know which brand it is. IMO buy one from a local auto parts store and ask about the warranty.

Make sure you buy the $3.00 U shaped crush seal also for it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The reman in my wagon has been fine for few years now. Sorry I don't know which brand it is. IMO buy one from a local auto parts store and ask about the warranty.

Make sure you buy the $3.00 U shaped crush seal also for it.

If you got a good reman the first time, you musta done something good for somebody.

In general, the auto parts stores offer lifetime warranties on the reman pumps. You're welcome to keep installing them till you get a good one. I went through that once, never again. Seen it on forums I don't know how many times.

I don't know why it's just the PS pumps. I won't hesitate to use reman CV axles.

OP, regarding your question about rebuilding it yourself, if you find somebody selling a rebuild kit, that would be awesome.

If you got a good reman the first time, you musta done something good for somebody.

In general, the auto parts stores offer lifetime warranties on the reman pumps. You're welcome to keep installing them till you get a good one. I went through that once, never again. Seen it on forums I don't know how many times.

I don't know why it's just the PS pumps. I won't hesitate to use reman CV axles.

OP, regarding your question about rebuilding it yourself, if you find somebody selling a rebuild kit, that would be awesome.

Yes, pretty much, I have a trusted mechanic that will tell me which one to buy.

Have to agree, it looks like rebuilding a PS pump should be a easy thing to do.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If replacing the power steering pump made no difference, and you're experiencing tightness when turning left, that doesn't sound like a pump issue to me.. I'm no expert on the subject though.

In one of your other posts I read that you got a good deal on the car, and that it has a "branded title". I don't know what a branded title is, but it sounds like the car may have been in an accident or something then?

That makes me wonder about the condition of your power steering rack, tie rods, etc.. Maybe one of those components is causing the problems, and the ps pump isn't whining because it's bad, but because there's resistance somewhere or something.

Apexi, the branded title was given in 08 for a lemon car. As in, 10 years ago the car was a POS for it's new owner lol. So far for me it's really been the typical 10 year old 140k mile car. Love it to death but damn is it finicky. The rack, tie rod ends, ball joints, everything was replaced in February. The fluid I used was the dextron. I did notice today that there is the occasional large bubble coming through the reservoir so I'm hoping it's just taking extra time to bleed since the last pump would barely hold any fluid without pouring it out shortly after lol.

Put the car up on jack stands start the engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a bunch of times. If it keeps burping up bubbles you have air getting into the system...and a leak too more than likely.

I use mobil1 synthetic ATF in all my power steering systems. When I get a new car I'll syphon out the reservoir and top off with the Mobil until the fluid gets up the bright red of new fluid. Do it every couple days or on the weekend when you check the motor oil and it's not much of a hassle.

Im about to strangle this car lol. Im honestly hoping if its not just excess air, thst the rack is bad. Limited lifetime warranty+labor on that. When we dont have 53" of snow i'll get her on some stands and go lock to lock as you said.

what would happen if you did use regular ol' OTS Power Steering fluid?

Probably nothing. On old cars that I'm more familiar with, PS fluid and dex/merc ATF are used interchangeably for the PS system. My old Saturn and current Focus had cold weather whine until I switched them to M1 ATF. $10/qt isn't cheap but seems to hold up well.

just curious. I put regular power steering fluid an OBXT and I cant seem to get it bled properly and the wheel is still hard to turn. I'm wondering if using the OTS stuff is the reason it's doing that. Since I have to pull the engine again anyway, I'll just drain it all from the pump and put in some synthetic ATF and see what happens.

Archived