LegacyGT.com

Continuing idle issues with '95 EJ22 engine

Actually I began focusing on the ECU this past week (my mechanic had mentioned it might need to be flashed or the software reloaded. I found the exact same ECU on Ebay on sale for $35 so i grabbed it. I put in in on Thursday and the idle was much improved but still heard a little bit of a miss through the air tube. As I expected, as I've driven it it, some of the idle fluctuation has return (along with the 2500 RPM idle at startup), but after a few short trips, the idle is still better than before. It's hasn't thrown a CEKL yet, but it may just be a matter of time.

I still think it's odd we've only had the CEL come up when my wife or son drives it, not me...

I also considered that since the motor is a swap that the original GT ECU is not optimal for that engine, so I found a '97 Legacy L ECU on Ebay and I'm going to try that as well. This car has noticeably less power and gas mileage (it's been getting around 18 MPG around town) and my Legacy L wagon so I was thinking for a few bucks I might try that ECU to see if it improves anything with the way the engine performs.

Check the MAF, mine had few loosen connections on the electric board (they needed to be welded again) before that the engine turned off 2 of 5 times i released the feet from the accelerator, after that it never happened again.

Compression test- haven't tried it. I had considered maybe the timing belt has slipped a notch or too, but I think the issues would be 100% of the time then.

MAF- I swapped it out for a spare MAF with no difference . My mechanic checked MAF function and found it to be in spec.

I did replace the ECU and noticed a better idle immediately. It did act up again a couple of times, but over the past couple days there is no miss at idle (even though the idle is still a tad low and a bit rough, but not unlike the 2.2 in my wagon. Keeping my fingers crossed for no more weird miss/ intake tube sputter nor any more CEL's

• 2 weeks later...
Update after running a couple of tanks of gas through the car. The idle is still a little rough and it is still too fast on startup, but the the car idles steady and no misfire can be heard through the intake pipe. Also, gas mileage has improved greatly. The last tank of gas was about 80% longer trips/ highway and it got 28.5 MPG on the last tank. The previous tank was more shorter trips and it came in right at 24 MPG. Previously when we were having all of the issues, it wasn't getting better than 18 MPG in around town driving.

I don't remember my idle ever being perfectly smooth. Not to say it was missing. I'd say the spark was at a different angle once in a while so that one made a different amount of power than the others. Are you talking about something that subtle, or no?

Your gas mileage is up where it should be now.

I don't remember my idle ever being perfectly smooth. Not to say it was missing. I'd say the spark was at a different angle once in a while so that one made a different amount of power than the others. Are you talking about something that subtle, or no?

Your gas mileage is up where it should be now.

The idle is steady but a llittle rough (you can feel some vibration in the car and something up under the dash rattles). In comparison, the EJ22 in my wagon idles just about the same- (even new motor mounts made no difference), so I'm not terribly concerned about it. The engine purrs like a kitten idling (especially in Park) and the good MPG's tell me it's happy.

Archived