LegacyGT.com

Hey all.

I'm currently daily driving a '00 Outback wagon. I've had it for nearly six years, and for most of that time it's been lowered on H&R springs and KYB struts for a standard Legacy.

I am seriously thinking of moving to a newer car this spring - my '00 has under 100k miles but is nearly 18 years old, and while it's in great shape I'm feeling that an updated vehicle with more safety features would be good as I'm the primary transportation for my kids.

I'm looking at Foresters and Imprezas but an '06-'09 or so Outback wagon looks like it'll fit my needs/lifestyle nicely, not to mention be a pretty obvious path to follow :D It looks as if the very same H&R/KYB combo is available but I wanted to see if folks are running it and what the consensus is on comfort. On my current car it dropped the ride height quite a bit but nowhere near too low for our crappy Ohio roads. The sway was significantly reduced but the car rode (still rides) only the tiniest bit stiffer than stock. I would want similar results on a new car. I don't need super-duper backroads handling, it's mostly for looks and to avoid the tall height of the stock Outback suspension, and I'll most likely get the non-turbo version to save on gas etc so I'm not trying to be a speed demon here.

One other thing I've found - I still run Outback-spec tires, and if I turn the front wheels to full lock they rub within the wheel wells. This doesn't bother me, I'm careful and it's not an issue, but I'm curious if a similar combo has the same results on the newer chassis.

Any input gratefully received. Thanks!

Hey all.

I'm currently daily driving a '00 Outback wagon. I've had it for nearly six years, and for most of that time it's been lowered on H&R springs and KYB struts for a standard Legacy.

I am seriously thinking of moving to a newer car this spring - my '00 has under 100k miles but is nearly 18 years old, and while it's in great shape I'm feeling that an updated vehicle with more safety features would be good as I'm the primary transportation for my kids.

I'm looking at Foresters and Imprezas but an '06-'09 or so Outback wagon looks like it'll fit my needs/lifestyle nicely, not to mention be a pretty obvious path to follow :D It looks as if the very same H&R/KYB combo is available but I wanted to see if folks are running it and what the consensus is on comfort. On my current car it dropped the ride height quite a bit but nowhere near too low for our crappy Ohio roads. The sway was significantly reduced but the car rode (still rides) only the tiniest bit stiffer than stock. I would want similar results on a new car. I don't need super-duper backroads handling, it's mostly for looks and to avoid the tall height of the stock Outback suspension, and I'll most likely get the non-turbo version to save on gas etc so I'm not trying to be a speed demon here.

One other thing I've found - I still run Outback-spec tires, and if I turn the front wheels to full lock they rub within the wheel wells. This doesn't bother me, I'm careful and it's not an issue, but I'm curious if a similar combo has the same results on the newer chassis.

Any input gratefully received. Thanks!

Look for the lowered outback thread to get you started. There's quite a few lowered OB's with different components (most OBXT's). From what you're saying, legacy KYB's and legacy wagon springs will be a good option - it'll drop you but not too low to make the stock OB tire size an issue.

• 1 month later...
Yeah LGT wagon struts and springs are probably a great option. I'm stuck between lowering, keeping the same or raising. So I'll probably just keep the same. Just don't want to lower the outback and already have a decent 4wd. Current height seems perfect for what I do, just wish it handled a little better. Especially the butt bounce when there is a hard shift.

Guys, I need an advice. There is a nice 3.0 spec B Legacy for spare parts and I would love to have it's springs on my EDM 3.0 Outback for lowered looks and tougher ride. Will they fit the stock OB struts? Do I need any other part from that spec B? Does the spring swap damage the stock suspension over time? .. I don't want to spend much money on it so used but tougher springs are very nice option.

Guys, I need an advice. There is a nice 3.0 spec B Legacy for spare parts and I would love to have it's springs on my EDM 3.0 Outback for lowered looks and tougher ride. Will they fit the stock OB struts? Do I need any other part from that spec B? Does the spring swap damage the stock suspension over time? .. I don't want to spend much money on it so used but tougher springs are very nice option.

You are correct, bad idea. Get lgt kybs and lgt wagon springs and a 3/4 spacers for the rear and you will be set. Lgt bump stops wouldnt hurt.

I actually have a set of 3.0 spec b front springs if you are interested.

• 1 month later...

Back up. I'm closing in on spring and am starting to look around at available '05-'09 Outback wagons... I particularly like the later part of the generation.

Here's my new question - I know that the Outback got a facelift for '08-'09. Are there any suspension changes at all from the '05-'07 cars to the '08-'09? I'm asking 'cause I'll have to order springs/dampers for the '05-'07 if I go through with this lowering project; they discontinued the regular Legacy wagon after '07, so I couldn't order from the same model year Legacy.

Hope that makes sense. TL/DR - is the suspension the same from 2005 to 2009?

Thanks!

Archived