LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT 5MT transmission oil

I have recently (2 months ago) changed the oil of my manual 5speed transmission and the rear diff.

I went under the recommendation to use Motul 300.

I did not have issues with the transmission before, I just changed it for maintenance. The car have 190000Km now.

Recently, when the weather started to get a bit colder (not too cold lowest is 2C), I have started to notice the gears shifting is not very smooth, and every time I release the clutch with gear I feel a small kick. Also I feel the first and second gears whine increased. I know that in general subaru manual transmission is harder to shift due to the AWD, but now it is a but harder (specially to downshift).

My question, did I use the wrong transmission oil going with the motul 300? or is that normal for this car? and my main concern would that damage the transmission?

I've been using Motul Gear 300 for a few years now, I think its the best stuff out there. On real cold say's like today, it's currently 3F here, I don't expect much difference. May that first shift may be a bit tough, but in general the stuff is good.

I have it in both my 5mt and 6mt and rear diff's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks all for the feedback..I think I will leave it for now, and if I feel like it is getting worse I will do the redline motul cocktail.

To be honest today and yesterday the shifting was fine, but at the same time the weather is not as cold..

Today after work, temp was 24F, the first couple of shifts in the parking lot were a little stiff. But by the time I had gone 1/8 mile to the next stop sign it was fine.

Oh, the morning shifts were fine at 3F after starting the car at 6:01 AM, loading my stuff in for the trip to VT after work. Then rolling down the driveway at 6:05 out into the street, it shifted fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

These have seemed to have issues with most fluids. Once the Extra-S was no longer made. Motul Gear 300 became the standard.

I used to use Amsoil Severgear, but after a few bearing issues, its Motul Gear 300 for me.

Archived