LegacyGT.com

List your Bill Kolb problems here

coxx

OK, I'm starting this up to have an official "problems with Bill Kolb" thread. I want to hear how many other people have had unpleasant experiences with Bill Kolb Jr Subaru in Orangeburg NY. I can tell you many stories. From going 10 or so times to get a recurring CEL problem taken care of to them outright lying to me that I could only get my custom leather/suede seats (which were part of a dealer package) repaired by the dealership itself, to telling me they replaced an air filter only for me to find the same dirty one still there. Their lies never end. Everyone there is an expert liar that tries very hard to make you feel like they're helping you when they're more often trying to get away with something. It really gets out of control. I'm starting this up to warn people. At the very least, if you're going to buy from them, be VERY careful.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People say they've had good experiences with Kolb but I've had nothing but problems. Check out this blatant false advertising. http://www.bkcars.com/gxr/ "rear window wiper de-icer"? I mean, come on. Do you know of any usdm legacys with a rear window wiper? Outright lies, & that just scratches the surface. Unbelievable what they try to get away with. I want people to know so they don't buy into the bullshit. I've posted many times in other forums about Kolb's questionable business practices so I decided to start a new one dedicated to the topic.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Guest *Jedimaster*

Repost from an earlier thread- I participate in all Bill Kolb threads, because they suck so badly.

"I bought mine there too. They're really good about the buying experience. But wait until you go back fro something. Then they're awful.

True story: I traded in a 2002 WRX wagon at Stage 2. The deal was that they wouldn't sell the car modded and all my parts would come back to me once they were removed. If you've noticed, there are quite a few modded WRX's that are parked at BK Subaru- they work there. Well, my Helix flex uppipe never made it back to me- they "lost it" . I went there, which is an hour drive for me and they told me they'd call me when they found it- the guy who took it off would be back to work in a couple days. No calls, no responses to e-mails. So, I called Mary Ann Kolb, the owner's wife- never returned a call once. So I called Subaru and made a formal complaint- then I couldn't get them to stop calling me! All roses and happy-happy. "So sorry we didn't get back to you? Did you check your cell phone? I left a message. Maybe it was in a bad signal area". Uh huh. Long story short, they told me they were going to ship me a Perrin uppipe and downpipe for my trouble. OK- so, it never reaches my door- I call and they "forgot" to send them. Finally, they arrive- I had been told they were brand new, Perrin pieces. Not so- they were obviously used, full of soot and had no Perrin, or kind of, markings on them. So, it's back to dealing with Subaru."

Was waiting for you to chime in on this one Jedi. Lets warn people as much as we can. I'll give you another ancedote. My CEL problems came about after changing the oil. I brought my car to them, their answer "dirty gas". They asked me again & again if I'd put 87 octane in (which of course I would not). Go back again, "faulty cam sensor". They replace it, CEL comes back. I go back again, they tell me "your wiring harness is faulty", so they replace that, no good. (Keep in mind each time I bring it to them it's a day to check the problem & then another I have to come in to get the repair done. So each visit is 2 visits.) So, I go back again about the problem. I tried to be paitient but now there's no point. So the guy tells me "oh, it's just a faulty harness, we'll replace it & it'll be fine". So now I really lose my cool. I tell them, you JUST DID THAT!! Anyways, after another visit, & another visit, & dealing with Maryann Kolb & their SOA regional rep, turned out to be an OCV problem. Now, wouldn't that make a whole lot of sense if the problem started after changing the oil? Of couse it would. So, anyways, after 15,000 visits do you think they offered me any compensation? Of course not. Not even the standard free oil change. Just shows you how ridiculous they are over there. (Thankfully I have not had another CEL problem since then & hopefully I will not.)

Ha ha ha. They're a disgrace. They got mad at me for not wanting to bring my car in during the week (about the CEL problem) because I needed it to drive to work. Of course they didnt offer me a free loaner either.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Call Subaru, they call you back with a tonal change in their voice like they've been kicked in the nads and happy to kiss your ass.

Yup, that's what it took for me to get any action.

bought my car from there too...dealt with them online via email to get a fair price. They hunted down the exact car I wanted (color combo, tranny, and options). It was fairly quick and painless.

however, I don't plan on going back to them for anything though and its probably a good thing from what everyone is saying

A few years ago I put a deposit on a used Legacy and then decided not to go through with it.

The salesmen called me more multiple times asking me when I was picking up the car and only stopped when I threatened legal action. And to put icing on the cake, I had to dispute the deposit charge with the credit card company to get my deposit back after being told more than once they(BKSJ) would take care of it. Oh did I mention just last week I was told I would get a CEL if I changed tire sizes? I wonder how many bad reports they have at the Better Business Burea. Subaru USA should sue them for defamation of character.

End-of-rant.

Deep.....cleansing.....breath. Ohmmm

A few years ago I put a deposit on a used Legacy and then decided not to go through with it.

The salesmen called me more multiple times asking me when I was picking up the car and only stopped when I threatened legal action. And to put icing on the cake, I had to dispute the deposit charge with the credit card company to get my deposit back after being told more than once they(BKSJ) would take care of it. Oh did I mention just last week I was told I would get a CEL if I changed tire sizes? I wonder how many bad reports they have at the Better Business Burea. Subaru USA should sue them for defamation of character.

End-of-rant.

Deep.....cleansing.....breath. Ohmmm

Rant away man. That's why I started this up. I want people to realize what a scumbag operation that place is. I want to warn people so they dont buy from them. Like I said on the other thread, THEY offer 18" wheels on the LGT as an upgrade so they're full of shit.

You are the minority on this

I may be the minority on this thread, but there aren't that many people that have had problems with this dealership. I understand that you and several others have had problems. That's fine, there are people that have problems at every dealership. I personally will never EVER go to Ramsey Subaru. Liberty I wasn't too fond of either, but never had a real problem. Stanford Subaru just opened and the people there are very nice. I prefer Bill Kolb since I have some friends there and they have always taken care of our cars.

I can put it to you this way, I have had some major issues with Jim Smith Chevrolet, even though I have a friend there, however, there are many people that keep going back. It's not that any one of these dealerships are horrible or shouldn't be in business, its that unfortunately, there are situations that are able to get out of hand and escalate beyond the norm of acceptable behavior.

i agree^

i bought 4 subies from liberty and haven't had a problem. some have. out of those "some" they where asshat wrxers that like to drop clutches and break tranny's.

Actually, one of these "asshat wrxers" was a good friend of mine. His STi clutch blew up and he got screwed by Liberty Subaru. He never raced his car and never dropped his clutch.

Do a search in the Tri-State on nasioc for his screen name, pk!. He's 40 years old and has 2 kids...so be careful when you throw that "asshat wrxers" phrase out there.

After reading his story...everyone should stay away from Liberty Subaru.

Archived