LegacyGT.com

5th gen turbo tranny into 4th gen non-turbo Legacy - possible?

Hey all,

I'm soon going to be doing a Spec B 6-speed swap into my BP Legacy GT, which means I'll have an extra 5-speed transmission lying around.

I know someone who's selling a 5-speed 4th gen BH Outback with a busted tranny, so I'm contemplating buying it, swapping my 5-speed into it, and flipping it.

I know the transmissions aren't identical, so what issues (if any) might be associated with doing the swap?

having put a 5spd out of an jdm impreza i know that manual doesn't have any wires feeding the ECU, just the speed sensor that you'll have to swap to match the final drive ratio.

HOWEVER, the 00-04 have stub axles in the diff/transmission that go INTO the CV half shafts. double check that you've got these on the 5spd your gonna put into it. if not IIRC you can get adapters to change the trans/diff outputs.

the neutral switch and reverse switch are simple outputs and there just a dry contact o/c nothing fancy.

id say bring the rear diff over with the transmission to match the final drive drop it in and flip it.

How many miles on your 06 tranny? what is the final drive ratio for the front diff?

~150,000 miles.

I might just end up selling it (for cheap) to the guy and let him do the swap.

Anyone got more info on those axle adapters?

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946324

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234372

found it, just easier to link than to try and repost it.

the axles from the donor 5mt might just strait swap if your not reusing them too. (would require verifying the hub stubs side by side)

Archived