LegacyGT.com

Power steering issue

Had a whining power steering pump. Flushed the fluid for the first time @137k using this thread as a guide. Awesome guide BTW!

Pump continued to whine. Replaced the pump with a reman. Whine gone, but now I have intermittent loss of power steering. The loss is most apparent at low speed pulling into parking spaces or backing out, but not everytime.

It's been about a week and a half since the pump change with no improvement. Belt tension is good with no noticeable slippage. No leaks leaks at the pump nor steering rack. Wondering whether I have a bum pump. Wondering whether the fluid flush exposed failures in the rack. Any ideas where to look next?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but stories that start with "I bought a Cardone reman PS pump" end with "after 3 of those pieces of junk, I gave up and bought a new one."

Told that story once myself. Never again.

Is this another "subie only" type part? Or are the aftermarket new pumps good quality too? Just asking so I know for later if Mrs Spif's pump dies.

Mine was just recently squealing at startup - sounded and acted like a slipping belt (belts are only 5K old) - same issue complete loss of power steering for a sec until car warmed up....

Added some Miltec-1 to the fluid and voila problem solved;)

I was wondering if pump was bad - and/or if I had air in the fluid, but started randomly out of the blue one day, and addition of Miltec-1 caused it to go away completely:cool: - so maybe a weak seal in the rack or pump?:confused:

Archived